• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Was this video you watched ksh? My hands start sweating every time i watch it. Well, my hands are always sweating, it just intensifies. I'm good to about 50', after that i have too much time to think about the fall.

Not sure if that was the same one but still gives me the rapid heart rate just watching it and I fast forwarded to near the end!

Knepptune

Looks fun.

Just noticed your jib stow winch. That beats the heck out of having to slam the jib in to get it stowed.

crane operator

Looks fun.

Just noticed your jib stow winch. That beats the heck out of having to slam the jib in to get it stowed.

I had a crane inspector throw a fit about it. Its been on there for a long time, before I owned the crane. Inspector says "no welding of any kind on a boom structure". Then gives me a $8,000 estimate to install a LMI system on the crane (suggesting I really need it to be a safe operator, its "almost" required by osha). Which involves welding brackets all over the other side of the boom to mount wire reel, angle indicator, guides for the A2B wire, and boxes. He only inspected my crane once.

crane operator

For those that have been following, I've got a P&H 70 ton hydraulic truck crane with a slightly damaged ring gear. Still drives and everything but parts are not available. I did find a ring gear in New Zealand, used. Its about $4,000 to get it and here, and I'm somewhat doubtfull that it will be the right one when it gets here. It's a 58,000 lb rear tandem Isuzu axle, Japan exported mostly to russia, china, new zealand.

I've been kind of hunting for something to swap to, there's not a lot out there thats 10' wide, 55,000lbs plus rated.

Found this over the weekend, M911 tank transporter. I haven't gone and measured yet, but military specs are saying 9 1/2' wide, 65,000 lb rears with a 6.21 ratio. My current ratio is 6.43, but I have good 14.00r20 tires. These come with 14r24 rubber. I know my current rims are a large hole, larger than standard budd centers. What are the chances of finding 10.00W budd rims for 14.00r20 tires? I know, probably not great.
Parts are probably not very available for these rears either, but I'm not giving up yet.

m911 heavy rears.jpg m911 heavy rears 1.jpg m911 heavy rears 2.jpg

Attachments

• m911 heavy rears 1.jpg
    m911 heavy rears 1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 2

crane operator

Hope everyone had a good weekend for labor day (US) . My wife got some new wheels a few months ago, a 2006 Honda Pilot. (1st non-us big 3/ foreign vehicle for me, but she likes it).

Anyways, ever since we've had it, there's been change rolling around in the interior, somewhere, hidden. Everytime you go around a corner, there it slides. Not world affecting, but just annoying.

I try to fix everything else, so I tore the thing apart this past weekend. Completely dismantle the center console/dash trim, digging ever deeper for the change. Tear apart stuff, go for a drive listening, then tear more stuff apart. On the third drive, the harmonic balancer/ crank drive pulley, disintegrates about four houses down the street away from me. One more thing on the list.

Have to break out the big tools to try to loosen crank pulley, and I couldn't budge that bolt. Ended up searching You tube, and used a breaker bar wedged on the frame, and bumped the starter a couple times and it loosened right up.

Turns out the center console contains its own heater core and A/C coil, for the rear seat vents, and the change wasn't in it either, it was under it. There was a big u shaped plastic vent, that goes under both driver and passenger seats, that's hooked to the dash vents. Rather than disconnecting A/c and heat, and removing rest of center console, and both front seats and carpet to get at it, I cheated.

Went to the shop and got a cut off wheel in the grinder, cut a three sided flap in the plastic, and drove around grabbing coins out as they would slide past. 10 assorted coins: dimes, pennies, and one quarter. Slapped some duct tape on top of the flap, and put everything back together.

I can just see someone with a three year old kid, who had a ball sliding coins in the dash vent, and his mom having a fit at listening to them slide around for the first 100,000 miles. I just couldn't see listening to it for the next 100,000.

20170904_132031.jpg 20170904_104618.jpg 20170904_104632.jpg 20170904_132036.jpg

crane operator

No leaves changing colors here yet like OIH has, but the walnut trees have lost most of their leaves

Truss job from this afternoon, they're going to have a nice view.

20170906_111150.jpg 20170906_120750.jpg 20170906_124231.jpg 20170906_125211.jpg

crane operator

It's actually a duplex/townhouse. We started about 11:30 and we were done by 4:30. Amish boys, and it went pretty well.

It's not a deck you'd want to trip off of, in the dark, after one too many....

20170906_125208.jpg 20170906_131457.jpg 20170906_131607.jpg 20170906_125139.jpg

hvy 1ton

Honda crank bolt are somewhat notorious for being hard to get out, especially with normal diy-sized tools. There are special impact sockets with added weight for getting them off with a 1/2" gun.

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
Crane Operator:

If you are serious about that M911, check the king pin diameter. The Super HD military tractors have a larger than standard size kingpin.

Rick

crane operator

Honda crank bolt are somewhat notorious for being hard to get out, especially with normal diy-sized tools. There are special impact sockets with added weight for getting them off with a 1/2" gun.

I saw pictures of that online, but I was stuck at the house yard- hand tools only there. The starter deal worked really well.
Crane Operator:

If you are serious about that M911, check the king pin diameter. The Super HD military tractors have a larger than standard size kingpin.

Rick

Thanks, I really only want the M911 for the rear axles. I need a heavy axle set up to replace what's in one of my cranes, the rest would be sold for parts/scrapped.

hosspuller

Hey CO ... Some internet trolling says the M911 is based on the Oshkosh F2365. A "commercial off the shelf vehicle" or COTS. Have you looked to see if the 2365 would suit you better ? It has 65,000 # axles too.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Looks like you are having great weather there. Blue sky is what we have not had since mid July forest fire smoke.