• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just brought a 1970 kenworth dual axle dump truck few questions

bigrich954rr

quick info going to use this a a farm truck hopefully then down the road buy a backhoe and some other EQ and get into some earth moving type of work. my full time job is snowplow driver, EQ operator, rebuilding roads, ditches, guard rail.

I got a 1970 kenworth dump truck with a cummins 855 think it is a small cam nta400 block number is 10519360.
it runs and moves dump went up and down only issue is the pto pump is leaking hyd fluid and is driven with a small drive shaft. also has a bunch of air leaks. its rough looking but all seems to work paid 2k for it so hope i don't lose to much on it .

Where a good place to read and find out how to get this this road legal again its been sitting for last 15 years.

Ifs its a small cam do i have to add zinc to the new oils so i dont wipe out the cam?
How do i find out if it is a low flow engine ?
the guy said it will get hot if you lay on it hard going up a hill. it could use a bigger radiator in it cause it came with a ntc290.

Truck Shop

15x40 oil will be fine for that engine. Low flows were later engines built starting in 1986 up and were BCIV series. And use 1" hoses from engine to bottom radiator tank.
Your engine will have 3" hose top and bottom. If it's a NTA 400 the water pump will be located toward the right front of engine and belt operated. If it's getting hot working
it, then you should take a look at the radiator. Being a 70 it's probably plugged or a baffle is bad in the top tank. The water pump can also be tired. The radiator is big enough
for that engine, 855's were cooled with that same radiator for years.

To get it ready start with the air system/brakes, can't have any exhaust leaks, check the suspension and steering components, air operated wipers, no broken glass or mirrors,
make sure the lights work and the charging system, no leaking wheel seals, No air leaks and compressor has good recovery time, tires are good and no bad wheels or studs.
No loose frame bolts, safety equipment like triangles, fire X and Mud Flaps.

Truck Shop

wilko

Everything Truck Shop said. After 15 years it needs new tires. It just does. Same with all the hoses, cooling and air. Also confirm that the fan is kicking on when it gets warm. It might also have a manual fan switch.

Hobbytime

sounds like a good project, but im thinking the 2 k you spent for it will be the cheapest part of it..good luck..and post lost of pictures..