• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
A couple quick snaps from today. Pulling maintenance on an IMT 180, adjusting the slides, greasing, fixing a limit switch, getting the master pin back in the track, replacing some hydraulic line clamps etc. Nothing exciting just routine work. IMG_8379.jpgIMG_8380.jpg

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Thanks. After years of the big iron I've decided it's not much different than small iron with a couple exceptions. Everything thing is stupid expensive and you can't handle anything without a crane or a forklift. It's interesting to see how the Watson drills work compared to the more modern and fancy IMT or Soilmec. Two radically different approaches to accomplishing similar results other than the IMT and Soilmec can go a lot deeper. First thing I noticed is they run all the tracks TIGHT. I guess with tools on the kelly bar they're really nose heavy and can walk out of them pretty easy. More to come I'm sure!

Junkyard

catfixer

Love those IMT units, we had a 2 pins in the swivel area on the boom break over the summer on a 270, talk about a pain in the turd cutter. Hope you're liking the new job, I may be in your neck of the woods doing some work in pryor soon.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've worked in Pryor a bunch. My shop is about 15 minutes away. Actually on a job now with the Soilmec. Looks like a slick rig. Sure is easy to haul. They seem really happy with the IMT's. I love it so far, lots of variety. Shop work, field work, welding and driving. Perfection if you ask me!

What's going on in Pryor? Is it the "client" nobody can name? Lol.

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Close quarters today.....

I'm ready to be back in my service truck. I don't mind helping the drilling crews but it's far from my favorite thing to do.....

Attachments

• IMG_8403.JPG
    IMG_8403.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 155

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
:mad:;):)
Close quarters today.....

I'm ready to be back in my service truck. I don't mind helping the drilling crews but it's far from my favorite thing to do.....

Next time they want you to work in the crew tell the operator to get out so you can set down. You will be probably back in the service truck in short order.;););)

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
OIH you might be onto something there. In a related note when I got in his truck this am he said "your f&:kin coveralls are in the bed. Don't leave those nasty stinkin things in here again. They smell like you haven't washed them in two years". I politely asked him what they smelled like. He replied like grease and oil and $hit. I said oh ok I thought there might be something wrong with them! He shot me a go to he!! Look and asked where the $;&kin room receipt was. I handed it to him and thought to myself...ah it's going to be a great day!

Maybe those stinky bibs did the same thing?!? I have to move the rig Monday or Tuesday then go back and service it next time they have a slow day. It's past due....I bet he may have gotten his a$$ chewed for that last night or this morning and that made him grumpy lol. Who knows, he's a hot tempered feller anway. I thought about the washing for awhile, it's been a lot longer than two years haha

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Routine week. Serviced the Soilmec, serviced a Watson 3100. Have to run to KC next week and replace a couple hydraulic pumps on a 3100 and service one of the LoDrills. To properly service and inspect the 3100's it takes me 1-1/2 to 2 days. They're simple machines just lots of moving parts and areas where bolts can loosen up, wear areas etc. I'm slowly getting the eye for problem areas. Really enjoying the work, people and the variety.

Spent a little time Friday working on my friends W900A. There's not much I haven't done to his truck over the years. I take pride in the clean roadside inspections he gets from time to time!

Junkyard

Attachments

• IMG_8417.JPG
    IMG_8417.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 153

Mark13

Spent a little time Friday working on my friends W900A. There's not much I haven't done to his truck over the years. I take pride in the clean roadside inspections he gets from time to time!Junkyard

That's a nice old A model! What is the specs on it?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
1980, Don't recall the wheelbase, 300" or so. 400 Big Cam, 13 speed, 3.70's. Over the last couple years we've done interior, stainless work, rods and mains, air bags, brakes, tires, dump valve etc etc you know how it goes! It's a clean truck. When he got it the interior was orange, I kinda liked it but he couldn't stand it.

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Came up to KC to replace hydraulic pumps on 3100 and service the LoDrill. Watson was a "hurry up" job. Mechanic from Topeka shop found metal in pilot filter which usually means one of two pumps. When I got up here we had the oil sample discussion. He said they wouldn't have caught this problem in time. I threw the BS flag and said if the metal is big enough you can see it with your eyes samples would have started showing abnormal metal hundreds of hours ago. He just didn't get the concept of consistent sampling and the pain it can save you! He also busted my chops for how I was setup with my truck. Saves me walking around so much. Not trying to lift the Queen Mary. Actually crane was just to save my back, pumps aren't THAT heavy just in an awkward spot. Got the pumps changed, tank cleaned out, pilot filter and return filter changed. Loaded it up ready to depart tomorrow. Weather was nice too.

Attachments

• IMG_8420.JPG
    IMG_8420.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 151

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Curious being they had a mechanic there why they sent you to replace the pumps. Did the guy feel a little stepped on that you were there?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
OIH. I'm sure that could be some of it. He's an opinionated feller. We had the pumps in joplin and it needed to be done asap. He's been kinda screwing the pooch lately from what I understand. Rumor is he's about to retire so he's probably having bittersweet feelings also. He's been around a long time. For the most part he did his thing with the tank etc and I swapped pumps. The owner called me and said he'd be there. Proceeded to tell me if he's holding you up, motivate him. If he's in the way move him. If he pisses you off send him somewhere else. The owners brother was there also, he said you'll have backup if you feel the need to make a statement. It all went well. I get along with the Topeka mechanic so I wasn't worried about it. There's definitely some drama around. I don't do drama. I just work.

I think the conflict is between the foreman in Joplin and the Topeka mechanic. Why? Beats me. Is what it is. Either way I love it so far. How's the weather up there? I have a friend that lives in Northfield so I usually get regular updates. Nice in KC today, almost tee shirt weather.

Junkyard

crane operator

Glad the new job is going well Junkyard. It's always stressful switching jobs, you don't know where all the minefields are, until you step in a few of them, or just go stomping around in all of them, whatever the case may be. I'm not much for drama either, we're all just trying to get some work done.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
OIH. I'm sure that could be some of it. He's an opinionated feller. We had the pumps in joplin and it needed to be done asap. He's been kinda screwing the pooch lately from what I understand. Rumor is he's about to retire so he's probably having bittersweet feelings also. He's been around a long time. For the most part he did his thing with the tank etc and I swapped pumps. The owner called me and said he'd be there. Proceeded to tell me if he's holding you up, motivate him. If he's in the way move him. If he pisses you off send him somewhere else. The owners brother was there also, he said you'll have backup if you feel the need to make a statement. It all went well. I get along with the Topeka mechanic so I wasn't worried about it. There's definitely some drama around. I don't do drama. I just work.

I think the conflict is between the foreman in Joplin and the Topeka mechanic. Why? Beats me. Is what it is. Either way I love it so far. How's the weather up there? I have a friend that lives in Northfield so I usually get regular updates. Nice in KC today, almost tee shirt weather.

Junkyard

Not bad for winter. Got up to 28F today and we got 5 inches of snow with a bit of a breeze. Cooling off as -1F predicted for a high tomorrow with a wind chill warning. This February sun is starting to get a bit of power in it now so it will be mud vacation before we know it. Finished the log sale I was on so fired up the slasher today and drove the old 250 Cummins to the new wood sale. Mill is about full and may quit buying any time now until after spring road restrictions go off in May. Don't really matter, I'm adicted to spring ice fishing anyway.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Cold is coming here. Finished in KC about 11. North wind had some teeth. Then I had to chase some parts in and around KC to fix a rig sitting east of KC. Got that done and by 4:30 I could see my breath. Says low of 28 tonight up here. I'm sitting with the family at the farm where I was born in the giant town of Bates City. It's a dot on the map but it's home. Glad it worked out to catch a night here. Headed back to Joplin tomorrow to dig into something else.

Crane Op, it's been pretty seamless so far. I tell the boys to save the drama for their mammas I'm here to work. If we get any down your way and need a crane I'll do what I can to throw some work your way!

-1 yuck. Don't miss it. Fishin sounds good to me! My boys love it as long as their attention span will keep them engaged.

Junkyard

Mark13

1980, Don't recall the wheelbase, 300" or so. 400 Big Cam, 13 speed, 3.70's. Over the last couple years we've done interior, stainless work, rods and mains, air bags, brakes, tires, dump valve etc etc you know how it goes! It's a clean truck. When he got it the interior was orange, I kinda liked it but he couldn't stand it.

Junkyard

A sharp truck with a good driveline! Sounds like any old truck, tractor, or piece of equipment when it comes to a never ending project but keeps getting better as you go.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My old 359 was like that. Once I did all the big stuff it was always a light, air leak, little custom knickknack etc. One of these days I'll start on my 63 Autocar. Also may have stumbled into a slick little B-61.