• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We haven't decided what course of action to take yet. He had been looking for a newer trailer so we will see what he decides. Bossman offered to fix it for the owner, they've borrowed and broke so much of each other's stuff that I don't think they even worry about it anymore.

Not much too exciting going on, several piddly hydraulic leaks, couple PM's which entailed throwing the operator out so I could have the machine long enough to get it serviced. I say PM it's no so much preventative as it is POST as in past the hours it should have been done. I'm working on a better system to keep things serviced but haven't found one that doesn't have me working nights and weekends. Sometimes our work and locations are so random it's hard to plan. Got a call yesterday the scraper tractor broke the hitch. Basically the bottom support frame acted like a shear and broke the 1-1/2" thick drawer right where the saddle for the hitch was spliced in. All the welds were nice it was just a poor design IMO. Headed to get some 1-1/2" plate to build a larger support under it to get that stress point away from the edge of the hitch, basically the saddle part was cantilevered off and over time it reached the maximum number of stress cycles and snapped right off. We cleaned it up, beveled it and welded it up yesterday, forgot to get pics. I'll try to snap a few as I build the new support.

D11 has another bad pin, this time we will have Cat come press it in the field. I'll take pics of that too. Funny how stuff gives you fits near the end of the job!

Oh and to complicate things I'm moving within the next few days. Sold my house and have one being put in at my shop. Can't wait to be right there!

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Things have been quiet for the most part. Cooled off a bunch here. Got a really good job offer with a drilling contractor so I made the tough decision to go to work with them. Union benefits are hard to pass up with a family as big as mine. I'll be the field mechanic and lowboy hand. They had a couple guys retire so they made a spot for me. I'll start after New Years. When I get settled in my trucks I'll post some pics. I'm special, a service truck and a haul truck! They've got some cool iron, IMT, Lodril and Watson. Plus some new fangelled drill I forget the name of.

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It's got an unusual name but the machine is really cool compared to the other stuff they have. Tracks retract and by the time everything folds up it's legal width and height with a tad bit of rear overhang. It's not like the IMT where you have to pull the kelly bar and stuff to haul it. When I ran my lowboy I hauled for them quite a bit so it should be a pretty seamless transition. They do highway stuff, rail, cell towers, transmission lines you name it. If there is a hole to be drilled and they can make some money doing it they'll do it. A good friend of mine has worked there for about 12 years and loves it, they take care of their guys. I think they are up to 10-12 different drills and about 10 acres of various tooling. 6 crews if memory serves. Two full time welders, three drivers and a couple mechanics. They work in OK, KS, AR and MO. The shop foreman is a friend of a friend. Small world sometimes! Should be some cool pics!

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Willie59.....in case you were wondering it's a Soilmec. I start after the holidays so I'll be sure to post pics.

Happy Holidays all!

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. Good mixture of driving and wrenching. Great people too. I've done my own thing so long it's gonna take some getting used to!

Junkyard

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Willie59.....in case you were wondering it's a Soilmec. I start after the holidays so I'll be sure to post pics.

Happy Holidays all!

Junkyard

Hmm, foundation drilling and piling rigs. Usually quite a bit of other machines and supplies tag along with those rigs.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
For sure. Full compliment of support equipment, cranes, skidsteers, trucks, trailers, hard facing on tools etc etc. They are very proactive on maintenance so that should be a change compared to the "run to failure" mindset I've been around. I'm excited. Did all my paperwork and drug test today as a matter of fact.

Junkyard

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
soilmec seems to be half decent, been around a few of them. the eletrical box is a little shock the first time you open it up..

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've heard stories of the electrical stuff on them. Support is supposed to be excellent. I'm always up to learn a new language! Lol.

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Started the new job today. I was slowly going through the truck working on inventory, cleaning this and that when an operator called in, busted the kelly bar on an IMT 180. Loaded a spare and swapped him out. Maybe I'll get some pics of the new ride tomorrow. I added a 1-1/2" hydraulic torque wrench to my personal collection today. Pawn shop advertised one on CL so I snatched it up. Good to 7,900 ft lbs. They had 3 1-1/2" wrenches, this was the middle size. It'll do what I need to do. Now gotta shop for a pump which of course leads to hollow ram cylinders and then a track press :)

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Here's the new unit. It'll be a week or two before they shuffle drivers and trucks around then I'll have pics of the haul truck too. IMG_8370.jpg

Junkyard

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Sure looks pretty. You are going to have to keep this one out of the buffalo herd for a few weeks.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Well my old ford 750 had 315k on it. Little rough inside. Drove ok. Gutless like most trucks that size. First thing I noticed in this FL is it's like a greenhouse. Lots of glass and no tint. Drives good, still gutless. Alison auto in this truck. Kinda nice. Everything is clean, room to spare so far but I tend to grow to my environment so I'll end up packing stuff in I'm sure. Not very fuel efficient. Maybe 6 straight driving. I do like the fact that the selector knob will actually change where the warm air blows! My old ford just kinda blew from wherever. I never drove it far and it took the chill off. The mindset here is a 180 from my friends place. I'm still going to help keep his big iron going so I'll have to remember who I'm buying parts for so I don't over or under do it! I'll keep it polished up, the MF crew takes good care of things so there won't be any complaints for a little time spent keeping the image up. If there's a better place to work doing this I'm not aware of it. I feel lucky to have this job and also being able to help my friend and not leave with bad blood. I lost a little sleep over that. It's going to be lots of hours certain times but I enjoy it. Best of both worlds. I worked so hard to get all his iron into shape I sure hate to see all that go away.

Junkyard