• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I think when he is five you will be buying him tools!

I'm actually surprised his older brother, 7, hasn't started wanting tools. I wasn't much older than him when I started getting tools instead of toys. They do build all kinds of stuff out of Legos. Natural progression I guess. It is quite handy that my 7 year old knows what various tools and parts are. Saves me some steps and often keeps me from crawling out from under whatever I'm in the middle of. They'll both be well educated repair wise. Hopefully well enough they choose a cleaner career!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I thought so too. I may charge the GoPro up and try a better setup to come back from TX with a rig next week. Catch myself in action :cool:

alskdjfhg

On a lighter note the ACMOC national show will be in San Antonio, Texas next year. We got the dates today and it is scheduled for October, 26th, 27th, and 28th. Maybe we can connect up if that's not to far from you. Always lot of cool and rare old Best, Holts, and Caterpillars at the show.

Well that's good to know, San Antonio is close enough for me for sure.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I thought so too. I may charge the GoPro up and try a better setup to come back from TX with a rig next week. Catch myself in action :cool:

My friend Sasquatch uses a 4' pipe clamp secured somewhere on the machine and mounts his go pro to the pipe. It makes for lots of mounting options. It gives a unique perspective from a working dozer, scraper, or even a grader on the trailer headed down the highway.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If you're going to use the gopro much I suggest getting ram mount stuff. Suction cup works way better and the rubber isolates the vibrations somewhat. https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-166-GOP1

I've got all kinds of mounts. When we raced we have them mounted all over the place. In car, outside the car, under the car you name it. I'll have to dig that box out and find my suction cup for the back window and maybe rig up one for outside too.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
So I did my good deed this evening and worked on the wife's caddy. Oil change, plugs and wires. The engineer that puts V8 engines in vehicles is a sadistic son of a biotch. There's always ONE plug that's a mofo to get to. On her's it's #8. 10 minutes on 1-7 and 30 on #8. Didn't plan on wires but they were grown on so they got done when I mucked up #7.

Been chasing oil consumption issues on it. I'm not so sure it wasn't whatever oil used at the last place she took it to. Hadn't used a drop prior to that change. So I decided to change myself and we shall see. If it continues to use it I'll do a leakdown test and see if it's rings or valve stem seals. I'm leaning towards seals. It's got 128k on the clock.

If it's not seals I'm hoping I can pull it, tear it down and cylinders be ok. Hone and ring it. LS motors are usually pretty tough and have good longevity, strikes me strange to have one using oil at 128k. I don't know how it was treated the first 97k, that's what it had on it when I bought it for her. Doesn't leak and it's hard to see it burnt with a cat on it. On occasion I'll see a quick whiff of smoke at startup. Been so cool and humid here I'm not sure how much of what I see is oil smoke and how much is condensation.

Anybody heard of issues on an LS? My forearms look like I got in a fight over a mouse with an alley cat!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
What year and size engine? I have heard rumours that the cylinder deactivation mode on the 5.3L can cause increased oil consumption because 4 holes are dead and running cold during deactivation.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
What year and size engine? I have heard rumours that the cylinder deactivation mode on the 5.3L can cause increased oil consumption because 4 holes are dead and running cold during deactivation.

07 6.2L. Idk if it has the multiple cylinder displacement/deactivation or not. She's bad about letting it idle. I'm hoping it didn't like the oil they used or it had gone longer than it should have mileage wise.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
So I did my good deed this evening and worked on the wife's caddy. Oil change, plugs and wires. The engineer that puts V8 engines in vehicles is a sadistic son of a biotch. There's always ONE plug that's a mofo to get to. On her's it's #8. 10 minutes on 1-7 and 30 on #8. Didn't plan on wires but they were grown on so they got done when I mucked up #7.

Any more I think my time is more valuable than working on cars. I have a good mechanic. I take my service truck to him whenever I go on vacation with a long list of things to fix. That way I don't have to work on it nights or take a day off and sweat about getting it ready for the next round of service calls. I let him worry about it instead. Our car is the same way. Transverse V6, I don't like to do much more than change the oil and brakes if it is not too hard. I guess I am getting lazy.

kenh

Nr, 8 is a favorite of the engineers.
"OK, make the AVAC bump 10% larger, that should really protect #8!"
Time ratio of 8 to the rest is about the same on my 90 Bronco.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
After all the cussing I dropped my ratchet and while retrieving it I realized a better way to access #8. I doubt I'll remember it or if I'll even own this one when it's due for the next set of plugs. It's too big to hand down to middle daughter who starts driving in a little over a year. I think this summer it'll get replaced. I'll have a damn fleet just for the girls!

d9gdon

My son's Cadillac CTS-V with a 6.2L will melt the tires off in the first couple of gears, but it's not stock either.

Isn't that a Corvette engine that was dropped in the Caddy's?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I know the cars are similar to the vette. Even in her Escalade it's around 400 HP. For as big a vehicle as it is you can get going pretty quick. Pulls a trailer great power wise, stability wise sucks with the air ride. It's too squirrelly for my taste. She's planning on heading to AZ next week for a soccer tournament, hoping the next few days will tell me if the oil use was a fluke or we need to rent her something......

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Check the bill if they replaced the PCV on it, damn one stop shops use Generic PCV units NOT engine matched. Saw it for the last twenty five years and not changing as people let them get away with it. I preferred Genuine GM on these.

As to an overhaul, talk to guys that do these pretty often, they use crate engines, seems there is a problem with the heads once installed and torqued, take them off and serious crap issues with leaks/not fully seating/etc. after.

Reactions: DB2

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
So...do you ever wonder why you're into being an operator or a heavy equipment tech? Well I know why and finally found photographic proof. When I was about 5 we moved from OH to IL. The day they were loading the truck there was a guy working on a track loader behind our house. I wandered out there and struck up a conversation with him. My old man comes out and the mechanic is sitting there watching me go in circles on the loader. So my parents snapped a pic of me on the machine and then with the mechanic. Damned if I know his name but perhaps he's a member and he'll recognize himself and his old truck! This would have been summer of 82 if memory serves.
IMG_9391.JPG IMG_9392.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I can remember working out of state of the art trucks as that one not so many years ago! All we needed then was a voltmeter, a ohm meter and a box full of wrenches, sockets and a impact for heavy work.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Fun day for me. Shop foreman is on vacation. Get a phone call that a rig has broken a kelly cable. Tool and bars are in the hole. Swivel and top of bars are 30-35 feet up. So I get a lift rented, load up the spool of cable and some rigging. I beat the lift to the job so we pull the old cable off and prepare a plan to pull the bars and tool.

Once the lift gets there I rig the service winch to the kelly swivel. Won't quite lift it. So we rig a skytrack to the outer bars to help. Get the tool and bars out of the hole and over solid ground. Hard part is done. Re-spool the new kelly line and back in business.

I don't particularly care for heights....

IMG_9395.JPG IMG_9396.JPG IMG_9401.JPG IMG_9403.JPG