• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

StanRUS

RRpete.jpg
Junkyard, when you do your service truck...no reason to build the bed too high from the ground; axles center line height is okay. This Pete could be 2-3" lower. Service belongs to buddy (Okie), built it from scratch. Have hydraulic outriggers, just never enough time to install them, ditto wireless remote.
AC is IMT under hood driven with hydraulic motor, build air @ truck engine idle speed. Lincoln 305G mounted in left front compartment, compartment top opens for adequate cooling air flow.
Rig eats brakes with Cali traffic congestion, i.e. stop-go. 3306TA with Jake, 9 speed, 24.5 rubber, air ride (going to reinforce bag top mounts, they bend).
Personally I wouldn't want a rig any longer, difficult to maneuver around on job sites. With my T300-14'6" 120"CA, I can park in compact car spots; handy when stopping by the bank, shopping mauls or stripper clubs;)
Cheers

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That's pretty darn close to what I had in mind. I've measured many different bodies over the years and kind of developed a hybrid of their dimensions. The kicker for me will be working around the crane I have. It's actually an old military wrecker, rotates and all that good stuff. It's crude but I have no doubt it'll pick all I'll ever need to. I have researched wireless remotes and have found one add-on system that seems to be the most logical to use. Kinda pricey but considering it currently has no remote at all it's a little easier to pay for.

I will end up with a little more behind the rear axle I think. Just guessing my cab to axle is around 9'. I don't mind a little extra weight out back because the crane is in front of the rear axle and it's a 32,500 single axle so I'd like to soften it up as much as possible. It's a monster set of springs. I pondered swapping a different rear end in but I want to stay Dayton wheels.

I've considered buying a truck but I literally have every single part for this truck short of the body itself. Working a regular job I've got nothin but time to build it like I want. A buddy has a huge press brake to make any panels I need plus he can blast and paint it for me as well.

I like having a one off custom truck. The question is leave the 250 cummins or stick the 8v71 and 10 speed in it. Now's the time to decide. The cummins is fresh, so is the green leaker. Cummins is backed by the 5+4. If I did the Detroit I'd use the 10 with the 4.

Now that our house situation is handled I actually have room to move in my shop lol. For about 9 months almost everything short of clothes was piled in half the shop! I could hardly park a pickup in it. Of course there's a 72 Corvette a customer brought to be built to FIA GT spec but that never materialized. My 05 dodge is in there in need of a motor but it'll most likely go outside. I'd say a third of the 50x90 is Autocar truck or parts for it lol.

Most likely it'll be fall or winter when work slows that I'll get time to dig into the A-car. This time of year is nuts with kids going to school, after school stuff starting back up etc.

Oh and there's another project I'll start soon and it'll get it's own thread. My friend, Tocci, that has all the old Macks wants me to build a replica of the wrecker bed his dad and uncle built in the late 50's for his B61. He found the actual truck about 15 years ago in upstate Ny. It's been sitting ever since in his shop. We did brakes and other stuff. I scoured dozens of pics and got all the dimensions I needed to have all the skirts built, the original booms were web style that they plated over. I will end up with square or rectangular tube with the ends beveled to match the taper.

We have the winch and some other odds and ends. Should be interesting to watch....

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Made some progress on the rotary today. Got the seals swapped, ring gear removed, holes chased out, everything clean and new bolts in and torqued. Still need to run the safety wire on them. A couple broken dowels to get out and I'm ready to assemble.

Watched the eclipse through my welding hood today, most of it happened while I was on lunch so I wasn't part of the $694 billion they estimated as economic impact haha

Caught a chunk of punch in the chest today while I was knocking a bearing off. Bled pretty good. Keep those burrs ground off!

IMG_9202.JPG IMG_9203.JPG IMG_9205.JPG IMG_9206.JPG

alskdjfhg

I have researched wireless remotes and have found one add-on system that seems to be the most logical to use. Kinda pricey but considering it currently has no remote at all it's a little easier to pay for. s and other stuff.

Mind posting some info about that?

I've got an F800 with a 17,000lb boom on it I'm going to eventually rig up as a goober service truck. I'd like a remote for it, right now you run that crane from a little operation station about 10' up in the air, hardly ideal for service work.

Watched the eclipse through my welding hood today, most of it happened while I was on lunch so I wasn't part of the $694 billion they estimated as economic impact haha

I wanted to see it, but didn't want to be the guy carrying around a welding hood at school, so I just left in the truck. Had class when it was at the highest point, so missed it anyhow.

The one that's gonna happen in 2023, looks like Houston will be pretty close to totality, so should be more interesting.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
This is the one I thought seemed to have the best options. There could be better ones but I haven't found them yet. This setup ends up costing about $1,000 per function. You can get 3,4 or 6. My wrecker is the same way, a seat up high rendering it all but useless for being a mechanic truck.

http://kar-tech.com/shop-kartech/off-the-shelf/ranger-system/handheld-ranger-system.html

Eclipse was cool, I tried to take pics through my hood but it didn't work. I read an article they say the next full eclipse is supposed to be 2045 which would make me 67! There are supposed to be several in the meantime as well, just not total from what I understand.

I ran my a$$ off in the haul truck last week, it was nice to be in the shop. Looks like I'll be there tomorrow too so I should have the rotary buttoned up.

alskdjfhg

This is the one I thought seemed to have the best options. There could be better ones but I haven't found them yet. This setup ends up costing about $1,000 per function. You can get 3,4 or 6. My wrecker is the same way, a seat up high rendering it all but useless for being a mechanic truck.

http://kar-tech.com/shop-kartech/off-the-shelf/ranger-system/handheld-ranger-system.html

Cool thanks. I'll have to look into the system, got the truck for next to nothing, and a remote would be a game changer. Truck only has 80k and once I repack the leaking boom seals, it'll be like new, so probably worth spending a little money.

I was just going off a quick google search, if it's 2045, I'll still only be 48.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Good thing about that system is it can be removed and added to another rig if need be. Based on the torque of the actuators they'll most likely need a lever at the right ratio to operate your spools. It'll take quite a bit on the control valves I have! 3:1 or 4:1 I'd guess, possibly more. They're stiff big ole valves. Lots of volume and not a lot of pressure.

You're just a pup! Haha. I suppose I still am in most circles :)

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Good thing about that system is it can be removed and added to another rig if need be. Based on the torque of the actuators they'll most likely need a lever at the right ratio to operate your spools. It'll take quite a bit on the control valves I have! 3:1 or 4:1 I'd guess, possibly more. They're stiff big ole valves. Lots of volume and not a lot of pressure.

I'll send you guys each a box of napkins so you can wipe the wet from behind your ears. :):) Keep rocking. I wish I had that young P*ss and vinegar again.

alskdjfhg

Yeah my spools are that way too, pretty basic old school little boom truck. Technically it's a digger derrick truck, but since the load doesn't care of the name of what lifts it, I don't either.

alskdjfhg

I'll send you guys each a box of napkins so you can wipe the wet from behind your ears. :):) Keep rocking. I wish I had that young P*ss and vinegar again.

Hahah

I don't know much about p&ss and vinegar, more like stupidity not to know when to leave junk iron well enough alone.....

I wish I had half the experience and knowledge of you guys here.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic

You, sir, have more pi$$ and vinegar than most men my age! Fellow members, don't let OIH fool ya!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Hahah

I don't know much about p&ss and vinegar, more like stupidity not to know when to leave junk iron well enough alone.....

I wish I had half the experience and knowledge of you guys here.

Believe me, I have never had the sense to leave junk iron alone. I hope to never get that much sense.

crane operator

We've been talking about remote over in the crane section, for running outriggers. The youtube video shows a guy who's using air cylinders controlled by the remote, to run the valve stack. Pretty slick.

The wireless is only $370, for 8 function. They offer all momentary or some latching (press button to start function, press it again to stop function).

https://www.controlallwireless.com/...-button-remote-system-extended-range-antenna/

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We've been talking about remote over in the crane section, for running outriggers. The youtube video shows a guy who's using air cylinders controlled by the remote, to run the valve stack. Pretty slick.

The wireless is only $370, for 8 function. They offer all momentary or some latching (press button to start function, press it again to stop function).

https://www.controlallwireless.com/...-button-remote-system-extended-range-antenna/

I've pondered air myself. My steerable trailer had a nice little wireless remote that ran solenoids that in turn ran an air cylinder that move the steering lever. Issue in this particular setup was there was no feathering it. On or off.

I'm a long ways off from needing it anyway lol. I may try to build it with air or something if I can come up with a way to have some fine control.

hvy 1ton

I went down a rabbit hole with that one Crane Op. Guy is trying to build an 8 ton sliding rotator.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I know a guy who has an old knuckleboom on his service truck. Runs it all with air from a tethered remote. Seems overly clunky and complicated to me but he's used to it. I'll have so damn much $ in my A-car that a few grand more won't matter!

StanRUS

Looks interesting at first glance. I'll read up on it. Thanks
IMO, probably better replace the valve stack
A few of us will probably be fucking dead:eek: before your A-car is finished...by then maybe trucks will be auto driverless and run on political BS!