• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Haha yeah that would have been perfect. Haven't lived north of the snow belt in many years!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Dang Junkyard, I was starting to worry. I had not seen a post on this thread since you got back home. I got to thinking maybe the lard we added to you last week was melting off and making it impossible for you to work without cleats. :eek::eek: :eek: At least the boss let you stay in the shop to adjust to the heat and get over your "depression" ;) about having to return home. It been in the 90s here also and we got 3.5" of rain Monday evening. A small bear holed up under the apple trees in the front yard during the storm. BIL said Timber seen it out the window and was barking at it and wanted to be let out.

Be safe and stay hydrated my friend.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It's been an uncomfortable week for sure. Hasn't been much going on other than routine stuff. Nothin real challenging. We're spoiled in the shop, we have yummy electrolyte freezer pops to munch on. Hydrate and cool down all at the same time :). We do have a daily quota of two per person but the foreman can't count past 10 with his shoes on so that's easy to sidestep :p

We did have a debate over grease earlier in the week. We use a brand on most everything that works well but on the Lo-Dril kelly bearings it's not worth a flip, a little heat from drilling and it drops right out. I got some extended service stuff that's supposed to be very tacky (much like myself haha) so we're gonna try that. We had just put new bars in the drill and despite a thorough hand greasing before install and a liberal greasing through the zerks after they were run almost dry on an 18' hole. It's always somethin.....

Gonna try my hand as a glass man tomorrow on an IMT window. It's been quiet enough one operator has been waxing rigs all week and may end up doing the same next week. Stuff sure comes out nice. He's got more patience for that than I do!

crane operator

It's kind of nice when everything is fixed enough, that someone is waxing rigs, but then the worry is that there's not enough to do.....:). Stay cool today and tomorrow, they say next week should be a little cooler.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It's our normal midsummer slow down I'm being told. Nobody seems too worried about it. There are a few idle rigs but there's plenty on the books coming up. I think once it cools down a bit it'll kick back off. We stay plenty busy in the shop.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I just try to keep in mind the British explorers of the olden days who used to traipse all over the poles and Africa and Australia and New Guinea traveling in wooden ships and lugging wooden crates wherever they went. At least when it's a hot, or cold, or rainy day I can go home at the end of it and sit in my house.

There is the one time last winter I heard a truck driver got stuck in the snow and had to sit in his truck all night because he had no communications and everyone had gone home just figuring he was working late.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Back in the 70s on a bridge job near St. Cloud on a Friday about 3 on a cold rainy day the boss said, lock the place up and let's get out of here. It took me about 3 minutes to lock the tool traler/crew shack and hit the road for home 100 miles away. About 7 that night the super whom lived fairly close went back for some paperwork he needed to send in. He noticed the front window bars half out of the dark crew trailer and the glass broke. He called the cops and when they arrived they heard yelling from the trailer. Turns out our state inspectors had gone in our trailer to do there reports as their heat was not connected yet. They had been stumbling around in the dark trying to find tools to break out. I locked them in when I locked up. I got some grief over that one for a while.

hosspuller

We did have a debate over grease earlier in the week. We use a brand on most everything that works well but on the Lo-Dril kelly bearings it's not worth a flip, a little heat from drilling and it drops right out. I got some extended service stuff that's supposed to be very tacky (much like myself haha) so we're gonna try that. We had just put new bars in the drill and despite a thorough hand greasing before install and a liberal greasing through the zerks after they were run almost dry on an 18' hole.

You may want to check the "drop point" spec of the grease you're using against any new grease. The "drop point" is the temperature that the grease turns to liquid. The spec comparison may save you a lot of time in trial & error

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That's what we did, had the oil supplier bring us specs and pricing. Compared them all etc. It wasn't like ooooh I like the smell of this one or the color of that one haha.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
That's what we did, had the oil supplier bring us specs and pricing. Compared them all etc. It wasn't like ooooh I like the smell of this one or the color of that one haha.

I think old used pile hammer grease would be the best. It always took about 6 weeks to wear off of me back in the day. Of course as you know I am a grease magnet.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I think old used pile hammer grease would be the best. It always took about 6 weeks to wear off of me back in the day. Of course as you know I am a grease magnet.

Yes sir. Like a retriever to a pond. You run into the machine shed and bail off into the dirtiest, greasiest spot you can find :)

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I'm just as bad, he wouldn't share the filth with his guest! Haha. I earned my nickname at work for sure. Pigpen :)

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Went to dinner with the wife and youngest. Had to run to a buddy's and fill out an annual inspection form. On the way back to my shop I stopped to get stuff to stock my cooler. This is what I came out to.....couldn't resist snapping a pic of it......think she rolls coal?
IMG_9122.PNG

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Went to dinner with the wife and youngest. Had to run to a buddy's and fill out an annual inspection form. On the way back to my shop I stopped to get stuff to stock my cooler. This is what I came out to.....couldn't resist snapping a pic of it......think she rolls coal?
View attachment 171779

Didn't you hang out to take a video. Them old Mercedes diesels were cool. A gal in high school had one which I believe was a 50 something model. It had wooden door framing under the sheet metal. It rolled coal every time she stepped on it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Cat C-15, 18 speed and 2 speed 46k rears. The former shop foreman had it turned down, not sure why other than he's a tool. It runs ok, not like it should. Next time I get a chance it'll get different fuel codes and a few other tricks I know....

It's a 2013 but built as a glider so no DPF or DEF which is nice. The trailer is a 2012 and that's the first time the booster has been on it. Hell the 4th axle hadn't been used until I stuck it on a few months ago to move a Watson 3100. I've certainly drove worse! I've put 20,000 miles on it since mid March and other than the Tx run I haven't left a 250 mile radius of Joplin so it's lots of back and forth over the same roads....gets boring.