• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That thought crossed my mind too, 99% of the time it's the same carrier. I wish scrap was higher here, I've got a pile of idlers and whatnot that need to go away. May make them into front weights for my old 706 Farmall. It's a bit spooky mowing the slopes I have. I'll make sure and save pics of the build when I do it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Moved the Soilmec to a job in Ok today. One of those "paddle faster I hear banjos" sites in the boonies near the lake. Oh and the only way in was a 3 ton bridge or a 10 ton bridge :cool:

IMG_8905.JPG

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Moved the Soilmec to a job in Ok today. One of those "paddle faster I hear banjos" sites in the boonies near the lake. Oh and the only way in was a 3 ton bridge or a 10 ton bridge :cool:
So I'm guessing you took the 3 ton bridge as it would be cheaper to replace if it failed!:D

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Lmao. Yeah and it was the least objectionable way in. The 10 ton was the lake Eufala dam! I would barely call the 3 ton a bridge. I could spit across it. It only saw an axle at a time unsupported. Whenever I see a cell tower job I know it's gonna be fun!

hvy 1ton

Maybe 15 years ago i was putting up hay on an ACoE lease and noticed there was decent sized AT crane that seemed lost, but i left them alone till they tried to get up on the dam road which has a 20 ton limit. They were trying to get to a cell site up near the dam, but access is through the section road on the backside of the hill.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I'm headed to get the Soilmec tomorrow, drop it at my yard, head to southern ok to move an IMT to the other side of a bridge. 300 yards as the crow flies, 20 miles practical. Then to another job and grab the other IMT 180 and take it to Joplin. That'll kill my week!

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Junkyard,
Nice work. I thought i was being updated on this thread from years ago but now i come back to HEF and see i have been missing things. Gonna take a bit to get caught up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TIO

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Junkyard,
Nice work. I thought i was being updated on this thread from years ago but now i come back to HEF and see i have been missing things. Gonna take a bit to get caught up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TIO

Thanks! The new site is kind of a pain but we make do :)

Your thread is the one that inspired me to start my own. You and TomV are my secret idols.... I have a ton of respect for a lot of the guys I routinely interact with but as far as independent field guys you two rock! I'm slowly gathering stuff to do my own deal. Talked to a guy tonight about doing their boring.

Glad to see you back!

DARO

Occupation
Mechanic
Junkyard
What line bore getup do you have? In looking to get in to it. Have to see how it shakes out with the start of summer season.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I haven't actually picked one yet. I think I'm going to start simple and move up from there. Most of what I've been asked to tackle are buckets, dippers and fairly simple smaller stuff so one of the kits with the bars and tooling to be run by a mag drill should get me started for a reasonable amount. A man sure can tie a ton of $$ up in one really quick!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Junkyard your crazy. I like it.

Aren't we all? Lol. Like Waylon said..."I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane". I'm sure my wife and daughters would agree and share some interesting stories. My boys are growing up to be just as crazy! Especially my youngest. He's wilder than a March hare!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
IMG_8919.JPG Moved the IMT today, headed to KC Monday to get our HPSI hammer and take it down to southern OK then return the rental to KC. Scored an unused Detroit diesel tool kit off eBay that showed up today. Headed to Okc tomorrow to buy what is supposed to be a good head for a C15 I have in need of one. Haggling with a guy on a 60 ton hollow ram cylinder that's been used a couple times, if that. Slowly adding to the aresenal.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Looking at the boring bars that I've seen machinists come up with, its more a matter of good quality materials, 4130 or 4140 solid bars, msc for the round hole to square tool bit adapters, lock screw and feed screw added in and then dial indicate the bit. Good bearings and off you go. Takes a couple hours to make a bar, maybe make a couple common ones, drive it with a lovejoy off the mag drill, start building up your bar and bracket set.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That's more or less what I was leaning towards. I have a couple guys that could make my bars and finding the various cutting tools isn't hard. Bearings and brackets are easy too. Most likely it'll be thrown together like all the other stuff I have!

nowing75

I made one a couple years ago ordered tgp shaft and drilled and broached. Drive it with your Milwaukee that drill . One thing I would like is a bore welder as I hate hand welding. Have only used a few times but gets the job done.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I think a bore welder is all but a must have. I did talk to a guy that's developed a bore welder that will be very reasonable cost wise. I won't say who or anything as I'm sure he will let us all know when it's ready for sale. I'm wanting to get my hands on some stuff so I can learn on my little projects or on something less critical like a bucket. My old boss wasn't wanting to do his buckets right but they've hit some serious rock and now wants them all done up like TomV and TIO do them. I'll take all the side work I can get, or that my family will tolerate lol