• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Well the company I worked for had an "unlimited" tool allowance! Yep you were "allowed" to buy as many as you wanted to pay for!

The good thing was they supplied any of the big things like 1 inch air tools and sockets and they did have a 3/4 inch drive set but I had my own that went up to 2 1/4 or so. Also provided anything over 1 1/2 in end wrenches and micrometers and specialized tools like Cummins timing tool an such. Overall not too bad a deal.

I can buy as many tools as I want. They only cough up a maximum of $750 reinbursment once a year. I'm allowed to keep those tools.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Had to change hydraulic pumps on a 2500 today. Right pump quit. I haven't dug into it yet. Based on the lack of trash in the tank and filters I feel as though it may be related to relief valve. I expected a good bit of metal. It wasn't run long that way so I suppose it could be bad inside and we just caught it early. If I tear into it I'll post some pics. Start to finish swapping pumps, draining tank, cleaning suction filters, cleaning tank, refilling with oil and testing....8 hours. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. IMG_8814.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Not bad. Spent the morning washing that rig, I think you could spend an entire day on them and still miss stuff. After it's clean you end up getting it dirty again greasing it, lubing the slide and ring gear, cables etc.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Just finished a 15 hour day. Started in Joplin, worked a few hours and got called up to Topeka. Scheduled tomorrow off a month ago.....

Get up to Topeka and get the rig fixed. Stop by the office there and head south. I've more or less drove for a living going on 20 years and close to a couple million miles. Drove through one of the best/worst storms I've ever seen! Killer light show, stupid rainfall, I'd say 60 mph wind and marble size hail if not a bit bigger. So 6 hours in the field working, 9 driving and I'm home so I can get one kiddo through kindergarten ceremony tomorrow and watch the oldest graduate high school that evening. Oh joy :)

I did score a Snap On 1" ratchet on EBAY the other day. Plus some detroit manuals and a couple Cat manuals. Am I the only one who buys them to learn about something I MIGHT work on.....? :p

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
One of these days I'll have access to SIS....I'd be into all kinds of stuff on there. Although I do like getting my hands on a real book. Either way I like discovering new stuff.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My friend and former boss sent this pic today. I'm headed up tomorrow to see if it can be saved without too much trouble....IMG_8849.JPG

Junkyard

hvy 1ton

So is this the one that caught fire last year? I remember something about a link-belt and burning. I'm guessing one of the heavy rains caught them out?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
This is the one that replaced the burnt one. Operator wanted to leave early Friday I assume and didn't pull it up to high ground, we got torrential rain Thursday and Friday. We knew it was coming. I'm afraid it's going to be an electrical nightmare. I hope it's pumped down enough tomorrow we can get a halfass idea of how bad it is. Doesn't look good. The air filters are pretty high so maybe it hasn't ingested a bunch of water but if it has we can deal with that easy enough. Really my only major concern is electrical. I'm not sure what his plan is. I know it's insured but after the burnt one I'm not sure how it'll go. I'll update tomorrow after I get a look at it.

If anybody has any words of wisdom I'm all ears. Getting the motor dried out if need be isn't a big deal to me. Neither is the hydraulic or fuel systems. Preventing or mitigating electrical damage is my main goal at this point. I hope I can help him save it and a potential insurance nightmare.

Junkyard

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
From look in the picture the water line on the dirt looks like it was much higher than the engine .

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Yeah I'm afraid it was pretty well covered when they started pumping. Not good. Plus, as bad as I want to help him I have a FULL week next week so extra time to help is not very plentiful.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I did score a Snap On 1" ratchet on EBAY the other day. Plus some detroit manuals and a couple Cat manuals. Am I the only one who buys them to learn about something I MIGHT work on.....? :p

Junkyard

No, You are not. I buy manuals for stuff I want to add to the line up. I wonder if I will ever use my D9 and 666 stuff. I sure would like to. I also buy manuals when I come across them at sales for little or nothing. I would hate to see them tossed in the trash because sooner or later someone will need them.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I ended up with a Kent Moore detroit master tool catalog, V-71 and inline 71 series service manuals, a 627B parts and service manuals as well as a D7G parts/service all for about $100. If anybody has or finds any two stroke tools for sale I'm interested. Kits or single tools.

I'd love to need to 666 books. Even the older 9's would be cool. I haven't done much work on the older flat track machines thus the need to bone up on procedures. I also did some trading for an OTC pump to run my hydraulic stuff. Based on spec I think it might run my 1-1/2" torque wrench too.