• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Checked my Twin Disc pile today. As near as I could measure I believe I got a #1, 3, and a 4. The 4 is on a great running 3-53 power unit with a tandem hydraulic pump setup. The other two are not attached to anything at this point. I Have the drive discs for the flywheel with them also.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Are you reducing inventory? I'd be interested in the #1 and the #4 with the 3-53 if you want to part with it as a combo. Thanks for looking.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Are you reducing inventory? I'd be interested in the #1 and the #4 with the 3-53 if you want to part with it as a combo. Thanks for looking.

The #1 should be surplus as I am going to put the 242 Ford Dexta power unit into my Pettibone Super Six high lift that has a super tired Fiat transplant in it now. The 3-53 is low hour and runs nice. I just borrowed the blower off of it to use on the one I sold that had the broken vane. Still looking for a replacement blower or may rebuild this one if need be. $300 for complete rebuild at Northern Engine. I may sell the power unit as i am down to using just one part time machine with a 3-53 now.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I'm interested if/when you decide to part with them. I've got a couple ideas in mind the little power unit would be useful for.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
A little variety this week. Ran a crane today pulling casing, setting cages and loading tools. I love running them when I get a chance. They asked if I could run it, I said yep no problem. When we called it a day today they said you didn't run it you operated it! Nice compliment I thought. It was a little 30 ton Mantis crawler. Have two Watson drills to move tomorrow. Can't beat the variety!

My service truck went to the dealer on the hook yesterday. It's got a TCM issue if I was a betting man. It limped for awhile then it wouldn't do anything. Oh well.

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Well it was a combination of being overruled by the shop foreman and having more work than we can shake a stick at. Plus the truck that is up in Topeka is supposed to be coming to Joplin soon. I'm not really sure how much we could have figured out. I checked all the obvious stuff, fuses, connections etc.

The two codes I was able to extract from it during the brief period it worked were both TCM related. That and the fact that the symptoms were so darn erratic makes me think is computer or it's hormonal!

Junkyard

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Junkyard, Besides your efforts are probably better invested in fixing or maintaining more production related equipment. My boss at the quarry limited how much time I spent working on any of the licenced pickups, said he would rather have me working on a frontend loader or haul truck.

crane operator

I'm just pulling his chain guys;). I'm the same way about the pickups, the big iron is what makes $, and in today's computerized trucks, they're worse to keep running than the big stuff.

lantraxco

Yeah, even thirty years ago with the emissions checks to retag gas vehicles and whatnot I convinced the owner to farm all the pickups and vans out to the experts on that stuff, left me and my ragtag crew to keep anything big or dirt related crawling forward most days. Doing a clutch on a Kenworth was our idea of light work :rolleyes:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Yep that's pretty much how we do things. It ended up being the TCU or TCM I call it one they call it the other. Anyways it's back to work. Moved a couple drills today. Headed to Little Rock with one Monday then maybe to OKC to move one in town there. It'll be interesting to see how they juggle which seat my a$$ is in! Haha.

Junkyard

Attachments

• IMG_8527.JPG
    IMG_8527.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 114

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Spent all week in the haul truck, moved a couple 2500's and a couple 3100's. The 2500 went to Little Rock Monday and came back yesterday. Construction on I-49 had me routed 412-62-65 down to 40. Hard pulling, lots of tight curves and hills. Scenic but not fun heavy! Other than that just another week of work.

Junkyard

crane operator

Nice- got you out of those oklahoma flats into some good hilly country. You were close enough, I could have bought you lunch. There are a few nice hills on 65 and 412 both, plenty of gears and jakes help.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I knew you'd appreciate the hills and curves seeing as how they're in your back yard! 4 hours down the easy way and 7 back per my permit. Oh well I get paid by the hour!

Think there's some trash in this relay valve? A buddy was having brake problems on his trailer. Both valves full of trash and two of the four chambers were about to spit the spring out the front!

Attachments

• IMG_8579.JPG
    IMG_8579.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 105

crane operator

We had troubles with a rt613 not wanting to range shift. I sent two of the guys out there- told them there's a air filter somewhere on that transmission, I remembered it being a brass screen thing. My mechanic sent me these pictures:

IMG_20170321_150158065.jpg IMG95201703219514535334795HDR.jpg IMG_20170321_145638298_HDR.jpg
We installed a whole new regulator filter assembly, and they cleaned the one shift piston, but it still wouldn't shift to high.

I spent some of today cleaning all the range pistons and air shift slave stuff on the transmission, I took it for a little test drive and I think I've got it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It's amazing how much crud will collect over time. Begins to make the air dryer and filter look more important. Even with proper maintenance there's always something on older trucks that bites you!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Had some variety this week. A little wrenching, fabricating and driving. On one of the Watson 3100's we had a radiator support break the bolts off in the head. Not very well designed IMO. After tearing it apart I realized the A/C compressor bracket gave me a lot more meat to work with and was held on with 7/16" bolts in shear as apposed to the 5/16" bolts holding the bracket to the front of the head. So I did a little cutting and welding to rearrange things.

We are swamped. I'll come in the yard in one truck, grab my stuff and jump in the other and head out. Lovin it.

Junkyard

Attachments

• IMG_8622.JPG
    IMG_8622.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8623.JPG
    IMG_8623.JPG
    753.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8624.JPG
    IMG_8624.JPG
    987.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8625.JPG
    IMG_8625.JPG
    797.9 KB · Views: 115

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Cool thread!

Seems I'm the telehandler guy this week at work. Rather be working on gensets but I can't really choose what breaks so I'll take whatever.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Thanks. Our stuff goes in spurts too. Have an IMT on a job that the operator swore was struck by lighting. After pondering what happened I'm fairly certain tracking down into the hole to drill he had slack in the kelly line and when it slid down it did so hard against the line and fubar'd the harness and solenoid for the rotary which caused it to blow fuse after fuse. I did learn which relays to pull to operate it enough to get the boom layed down where I could work on it.

We have a ton of different iron from the rigs to skid steers, cranes, trucks, pickups, vibra-hammers etc so it pays to be well versed in stuff! I get paid by the hour so I'll drive truck, turn wrenches, clean the toilets whatever! Haha

Junkyard