• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

john deere 650g tc transmission problems

luc2121

i have a 1994 john deere 650g TC dozer and everything works fine except no 3rd gear in foward or reverse ? theres no grinding but you can hear something turning in there. is this a common problem ? anthing i should check ?

thanks

luc2121

does anyone have a pdf manual for this dozer ? with it i'm thinking i could get it figured out. thanks

mrfixit77845

code f497

i called jd they said it meant exccessive pressure in fuel injection circuit i think that was the quote. all the injector pump rebuilders say they cant rebuild it or get the parts it is exclusive to jd and they want me to haul it 100 miles to replace the whole pump. im thinking there is maybe a restriction and i dont know where to look

Last edited:

buckfever

We had the same problem on our 555g. Also had a friend with the same machine and also did the same thing. Can't remeber what caused it but I do remeber my buddy saying that he was going to have to take the counter weights off and go threw the back of the trans to get to it. Man this bugs me just can't remeber what it was buddy did say it was a cheap fix just very time consuming.

pipeline mech

Sounds like your 3rd gear clutch pack is out. You can at least look up parts manual on JD website to get a look at what you might need.You will probably have to purchase a service manual from JD.

luc2121

Ran it today for a while and every so often would try 3rd and all of a sudden it started working, takes a second to engage but its working now, and stopped dor lunch and tried after and took around 4 seconds to engage first time and shortly after was shifting fine. Going to change fluid tomorrow and filter. A regular trans hydraulic fluid fine ? Or something else ?

Thanks for helping

buckfever

You need to use a uni-track type fluid. The same stuff you put in the hydrolics. Napa's part number for 5 gallons is 85-405 ( i'v bought quite a bit of this stuff over the years). John deere calls it hy-gard but really you need to look to make sure it is j-20 approved.