• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG40F trying to remove boom telescopic cylinder

sawzall5150

Occupation
Seld employed welder, fabricator,millwright,piping
Wow, what have I got myself into? I bought this machine for $2000 without hearing it run but a guarantee that everything worked. Sure enough, after getting home and cleaning out the carb and some homemade intake gaskets we fired it right up and backed off the trailer. Due to it sitting for a couple of years it had a few bugs mostly electrical but is pretty much fully operational now. Here's my problem: the boom extend/retract chains were hanging low and apparently jumped the sprockets and broke the lower chains at the adjuster block and one of them is sucked up inside the base boom section. After much studying I have decided that I need to pull the mid section out of the base section so I can access the sprockets and get the chain back into position then stuff it all back together and adjust the chains. Problem is the rear pin on the telescoping boom cylinder. I have disconnected the hoses and finally removed the 27 year old set screws from the rear cylinder pin. It wont budge. We have heated the pin collars cherry red and even welded a piece of pipe to hold a drive pin made from 1" round stock and pounded our brains out with a 16# sledge and it still wont budge. After 27 years could the pin be stuck in the cylinder base? I would think that it would more likely be loose with wear over time. Any ideas on getting the pin out without having to resort to a mag drill? Thank's.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
From what I remember......you should be able to reach into the rear of the boom with a reciprocating saw and cut both sides of the pin off between the boom and the cylinder. The cylinder does have to come out before the boom can be disassembled. We used to drill and tap the pin, then use a large porta-power ram with a hole in the center to pull the pin. That was 20 years ago. They must be stuck real good by now.

sawzall5150

Occupation
Seld employed welder, fabricator,millwright,piping
Thanks for the reply. I think I have come up with a way to fix this from the other end without pulling the cylinder.