• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 9520

Gary Morris

Have one of these and dropped the front axle to do bearings and seals. Put it all back in and went to operate machine and parking brake light is on in cab and it obviously won't engage gears. The panel is throwing a diagnostic code of CCU 9, or 9.62 or 96.2 or 962 or 9 and 6.2, hard to tell. Trans and parking brake were fine when we took it apart just before Christmas, any idea's, thx.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Serial number please. There are 7 different versions of that tractor.

Also, post a picture of your codes.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
CCU 9 is the seat switch is stuck closed. No clue as to the 6.2. Pictures?

Does the 6.2 also say CCU, or does it say PDU or some other acronym?

Gary Morris

CCU 9 is the seat switch is stuck closed. No clue as to the 6.2. Pictures?

Does the 6.2 also say CCU, or does it say PDU or some other acronym?
Sorry for late response. Only code is the seat code you referenced thx. I will check it in the a. M and update.

Gary Morris

JD 9520 update. Called out local JD dealer and they got the tractor to move. We sent it out to work and it lasted an hour. new problem similar to last but no codes. If gear selector is in park all is well. As soon as you move out of park you get a noise from under the cab also, the steering gets noisy but works ok. PB light goes off and tractor will move and change gear as requested but not above 1000 rpm, then it just dumps out of gear and will not move. At the same time the trans, pressure and PB lights start to flash and again no codes. Does it in forward and reverse with no load. Sounds like a pump but no crap in filters and oil is clear and clean. Idea's? I'm leaning toward pump but JD dealer is a week out and I am about done with machine and may just cut my losses.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
What did the dealer fix?

Are you entering the service mode to check for codes?

With your description, I would be confirming transmission pressures with a gauge. Other than that I got nothing. I have no real experience with those tractors.

excavator

Thank you Gary for updating to let us know what the problem was. Years ago I had a customer with a 9520 scraper tractor, 18 speed power shift and under a hard pull it would occasionally pop into neutral. Move the shift lever to neutral and back into gear and away it went. It would happen maybe once in an 8 hour day so very difficult to diagnose but eventually it started doing it hourly, then ever 30 minutes ect. I spent a day and a half diagnosing it and finally replaced the starter motor and that fixed it. It's been 20 years ago so I'm not sure if this is totally correct and I sold my manuals and notes ect. Because the power shift trans did not require clutch pedal activation for the tractor to move it could theoretically be started in gear. So they took the ground wire, which grounded through the starter, to one of the relays and powered it up it while cranking thereby deactivating that relay. There was a ground problem with the starter solenoid which caused the relay to open and the transmission to default to neutral. Not everyday that you can fix a transmission problem by changing the starter motor.