• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 9300 hoe any good? off of trackldr

iowa60

I am considering a JD 9300 backhoe off a JD 350 track loader, what are the bad points of these backhoes? They look heavy, but they dont have the standard swing cylinders, and dont know if this will be a significant drawback? I have to believe the slower speed is because the track machines lower capacity 14 to 22 gpm hyd pump. Thanks for your input.

iowa60

Plan to do some trenching, more of just digging. Yes my rig is open center hyd.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
If I remember correctly this is basically the same as a hoe on a 310 of the same area. The only problem area I can think of is the swing motor,it might have a tendency to leak some hyd. oil. I am curious what you plan on attaching it to, it will take a fair size farm tractor if you go that route.

iowa60

Wondering if the swing motor is capable of holding the hoe as firmly in place, let say while skimming the side of a trench? I would put the hoe on a 115 hp diesil, however I have not found any answers how the industrial tractor/backhoes get by with using an open center hyd with such high demands on the hydraulics? Are they using a dump valve to return the oil back to the system? I maybe would have to use a pto gearbox and pump to power the hoe, as my 8 g.p.m. pump would be to itsy bitsy.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
The swing motor will be fine, Deere had them on a few of their models so don't worry about that. These units were used hard on crawlers, and will stand the abuse you put to them. I'm not sure what your concern is about open center hyd. is, all that happens is oil comes from the pump ,goes to the valve ,leaves the valve ,and returns to a reservoir. You will need a hyd. tank at least as big as the gpm of your pump and a pto shaft mounted hyd pump around 20-25 gpm. Case used open center hyd. systems on 580's for years and guys love em. Don't forget to install a filter in the system also. Surplus Center has alot of the hyd. things that you will need ,and you will need a few,pump,tank, filter base and filter,relief valve, and maybe a hose or two. Just some things to keep in mind! Portsmouth here,where in Ohio are you?

iowa60

Ok thanks for the info. Sounds like the 9300 is durable. The concern with the open center hyd., was with the open center hyd on the farm tractors continued hydraulic usage would overheat the oil and system unless you would be using the newer closed center system tractors which would handle the non stop usage of hydraulics. Am just trying to identify the difference with the industrial hoes that they do not over heat. And the farm tractor use's a oil cooler for the hyd also. Is it accurate info that the front mounted hyd gear pump on the Case 580c, is the one that operates the hoe? Trying to find the part number for it, but with no luck.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Yep, that front mounted pump on a Case 580 is the main hyd. pump. If you need help on Case parts call Equipment Salvage in Cambridge Oh., good guys who will help out. A oil cooler will be a must if you use it more than a couple of hours. If you have any ready mix companies close, check out their bone yard, all of them have large coolers on them,McNeilus mixers even have nifty packaged coolers with a electric fan that works good if you want to self contain it on the hoe. Ready mix trucks have lots of repurposeable parts on them!

iowa60

Yea thanks, this will be a help knowing the front pump is the main pump. I would not have though of mixer trucks for the coolers, probally could get a tank for the oil as well. Yes I was thinking going the route of a self contained hyd system for the hoe, and the pump info will be of help-will see if this pump alone is the 10 gpm or the 20 gpm pump for the 30 gallon total. I will contact the guys in Cambridge.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
If you have a hyd. pump off of a Case hoe and are thinking of running it off of the pto you will be disappointed. If you have a 1000 rpm pto you will have to run your engine flat out to get half capacity of the pump. A pto shaft mounted pump will work much better although that may not be in the budget, I know all about that! Prince makes a nice pto unit but that may be the kids tuition,gas money, or house payment. :eek: just trying to give some guideance.

iowa60

You mentioned using a hyd pump in the 20-25 gpm range. I did find a 1000 rpm pto 22 and a 40 gpm pump from splitez dot com for $300. which I would do, but they top out at 2000 psi, and the industrial hoes look like they run the 2700 to 3000 psi range. I am no mechanical engineer, but I dont think adding extra flow with the 40 gpm, will make up for the 1000 psi less...it would seem both flow and psi have to work together for the application. Someone mentioned using a cogged belt/pulley at 3:1 and mouting the higher pressure pump on this, opposed to the $1000. gear box, and still having to mount a pump besides. I agree with you, without speeding up the pump at 3:1 ratio, the capacity would be unusable. I know excess pump capacity is bad, but I can always throttle back to reduce flow...but then I would be dropping pressure too...hmmm. Producing the same factory rpm of pump would seem to still be best. Thanks for your input.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
The system pressure of crawler loaders was around 2000 psi. plus or minus a little. The speed you turn the pump does'nt have that much effect on pressure, just the gpm. Pumps create flow, the restriction makes the pressure build to the relief point. If you have a good closed center hyd. system on your tractor, you might want to change the valve body to one off of a 310 or 410 tlb they were closed center and should bolt in ok.