• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 6320 Engine Troubles

Queenslander

This 2005 100hp Ag tractor with 3300 hrs is causing me no end of grief at the moment.
About a month ago we gave it a routine service.. engine oil and filter, fuel filters, changed the coolant.
Nothing unusual... later, we worked it for about 5 hours, where it performed flawlessly.
A couple of days later, I needed to have the rear tyres replaced, and rather than pay to have the tyre shop travel 70 miles, I loaded the tractor up and took it to town.
Got to town, threw the chains off and hit the starter.... engine started normally but stopped after about two seconds.. as though the key had been turned off.
Checked fuses and for loose wires but found nothing, engine starts fine, just won't run.
JD dealer is right across the street.. they send a mech. over who finds nothing obvious, but when he holds the key on, after the engine stops, it appears to load up, almost stalling the starter.
Give it a break for a few seconds and it will fire up again, but only for another few seconds.
Took it over the street to their shop and skull dragged it off the truck, where it has been ever since.
They have swapped out the ecu, checked timing, tested injection pump, replaced key switch, checked wiring, checked turbo and air cleaner....still won't run.
When the all the fuel lines are cracked open, the engine doesn't start, naturally, but it does spin on the starter much easier.
I asked this morning if they had tried starting it without the muffler attached and they said they hadn't, but it "appeared" to be OK.
The more I've thought about it throughout the day the more I think it could be the cause of the problem.
Keen to hear if anyone else has struck the same problem before... certainly has my dealer dumfounded and JD Aust. don't seem to be any better.

Delmer

Did you forget to take the duct tape off the stack? https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/transporting-tubo-equipped-machines.1498/ :D

I had a tractor do the exact same thing once. It turned out to be ice in the cup of the oil bath air cleaner, somehow I don't think that's going to be your problem...

I think you're on the right track with the muffler. That should be easy to check for flow when it first starts. A collapsed intake hose would do the same thing mine did, but wouldn't load up, mine just kept cranking easy, course that was a gas engine with a 12v battery on a 6V starter.

Transmission and hydraulics are where to look next. Disconnect the hydraulic line, and/or disable the transmission controls to see if there's any difference. Maybe go over any wiring harness connectors first.

At least it's a repeatable and predictable problem.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've seen the muffler issue before but it just caused a loss of horsepower. On the east end of our state there is a problem with birds building nests in the intakes of equipment. They have come up with a big screen that looks like a bird cage that goes onto the intake pipe to keep the birds out.

Queenslander

Transmission and hydraulics are where to look next.
Apparently, while doing some more diagnostics on Friday the motor locked up completely and now can't be turned, even by hand.
They are NOW saying that they have seen unexpected/unexplained failures of the transmission pump on this series.
We'll see what this week brings.
Luckily, we have this Ford all terrain crane, similar to TD25's, that has been able to step up to the plate.
IMG_0264.JPG

Queenslander

This tractor has tuned into a nightmare... a reliable low hour machine has become almost worthless with no warning whatsoever.
They have a "power quad" planetary clutch pack between the motor and transmission.
My theory is that a shaft holding one of the gear sets in the carrier has sheared along an oil gallery, but remained in place.
The ride to town has partially dislodged the shaft, allowing the gear to become misaligned, and causing the engine trouble.
After a month, attempting to run the motor while diagnosing the problem, the gear set has fallen out completely, destroying the carrier in the process.
Iam now faced with a repair bill worth almost as much as the whole tractor (and loader).
The fact that most of the damage was done in their workshop makes it particularly unpalatable.
We allow for possible large repairs on our earthmoving gear but this one has come totally out of left field.