• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

jcb perkins white smoke on startup

skata

96 jcb 506 with 4500 hours. with i believe a perkins 1004 turbo engine.
my machine has probably seen less than 40 hours use in the last 8 years, so it sits a lot. anyways, i started it yesterday and moved it around for a bit and all was good. today i started it and a lot of white smoke coming out the exhaust. it cleared up within a minute or 2, and ran good. it sat for a few hours, and then i started it up again, and more white smoke, though not as bad.
so i'm assuming a leaking or stuck injector? this engine is all original. i've owned it for almost 20 years.
do i start by taking the injectors out? how do i even tell they are bad?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Just run the snot out of it for a few hrs and THEN see what it does.. The heat will help break stuck or sticking things loose..
It sounds like its just been sitting for awhile.. nothing to be to concerned about.. just run it.. maybe add some sort of fuel additive if your gonna let it sit for extended periods..
And for gods sake, change the fuel filters.. OFTEN.. the paper will sit there & deteriorate & you'll experience more/worse problems..

skata

yeah. i'll try that. this forklift mostly never gets fully warmed up. start it up and move some things, then shut it off...

skata

well, no more smoke. i had ran it for about an hour before parking it a couple of days ago. today i started it and no smoke at all. ran it for at least an hour, and she runs perfect. maybe it was just a stuck injector before.
since the machine sits a lot, i do keep the tank full and have added some power service brand diesel storage additive which is also suppose to prevent algae.
i will go through and change the filters also.
thanks

Delmer

40 hours in 8 years and a full tank means that the average age of that fuel might as well be 8 years old.

If that's how you plan to use the machine, I'd drain the fuel tank, fill it with used hydraulic oil or whatever, and rig a plastic boat tank up to use so you're not aging so much fuel, and you can dump it all out and replace it once a year.

And don't just run that engine for an hour, drive it in road gear, up a hill, whatever it takes to warm everything up nicely before every fluid change.

skata

yeah, i need to drain the tank and burn that diesel up in another machine that gets more use.