• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 214 transmission

Rockyboy 2009

Hello, I have a JCB 214 1996 4x4. the machine runs great the first approx. 10 minutes after that it has a hard time to move forth or back, what can that, no nice from the trans, it is in gear, it seems like the motor has a hard time to move the Backhoe, has it soothing to do with the breaks?

kcmc

I ran into a JCB backhoe this guys got and he says the tranny is bad. I ran it and it wont hardly move, it just lurches forward a bit and just stops.
My question is: can it be fixed short of rebuilding or replacing the tranny? If it does need replaced or rebuilt completely what would one pay to have that done? Never had that problem before and i dont even know how they work let alone how to troublle shoot it.
Also, are these good machines all around? :confused:
Thanks

By the way it is a 2000 model

I have a 210s and jsut got a quote for $10,000 to rebuild it. They assumed a complete rebuild as quote before they'd even move forward.

JCB 214s

1999 JCB 214 S 4X4 problems

Dose anybody have any info on four wheel drive problems to a 1999 JCB 214 S.
Only 2000 HRS. Everything else works fine. The switch in cab for two or four wheel drive dose light up when switched.

jcb jeff

We used to pull the internal suction strainer and check for debris to determine what was failing if the external screw on filter blows apart its normally down to the pressure maintenance valve sticking or a we once had a bad batch of filters causing fluid loss through pin holes in the tin part of filter.need to put gauge on mainline pressure port and see what pressure is when you put into F or R you should see a drop in the pressure and then rise back to mainline again . You may have electrical issue we used to find relays getting hot and dropping out or the solenoids on the top of the gearbox if you have only one direction dropping out when they get warm cools down and works again you can swap the solenoid coils and test that and also to check electrical swap the wiring plugs over so as reverse is now forward and vise versa.If the transmission appears to be stuck in one direction possible clutch pack breaking up but would be seen as fiber in the oil strainer in behind the two bolts oval plate .Some boxes used a plastic piston in the clutch packs which if the trans cooler fails and antifreeze attacks the piston causing swelling and jamming .if you have slipping it could be clutch packs or seals on shafts breaking the little blue rings usually get destroyed when bearings start failing.if its a syncro shuttle its quite a simple box to repair a powershift has just a few more clutch packs in it and more solenoids but a sequence of solenoid coils to get the correct gear config.
Have seen a few clutch baskets break on the friction weld to the shaft but usually noise and debris in the oil.hope this might help i used to work for a jcb dealer

4wd issue possible solenoid on the gear box or the clutch pack / Bellevue washer unit as there are two different types around that age of machine check you have power to the solenoid on the 4wd hub unit

mrh1966

I have a 214 series 3 in the Bahamas. That stopped moving, forward or backwards. Has a filter on side i
of gearbox which was leaking fluid. Removed the strainer, via 2 bolts and cleaned, nothing in it, replaced filter. Filled with fluid and away we went. Perhaps I was lucky!!! Check electrics first, they are know to be a problem....Light and buzzer could be the sender just above the filter..??

cherokee101

I have a 210s and jsut got a quote for $10,000 to rebuild it. They assumed a complete rebuild as quote before they'd even move forward.
How did you come out on your transmission? Did you find out the problem?

Sam1734

Hello, I have a JCB 214 1996 4x4. the machine runs great the first approx. 10 minutes after that it has a hard time to move forth or back, what can that, no nice from the trans, it is in gear, it seems like the motor has a hard time to move the Backhoe, has it soothing to do with the breaks?
Did you ever figure out what was going on with your machine? I am having similar issues on my 96 model as well.