• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 214 transmission

barklee

I ran into a JCB backhoe this guys got and he says the tranny is bad. I ran it and it wont hardly move, it just lurches forward a bit and just stops.
My question is: can it be fixed short of rebuilding or replacing the tranny? If it does need replaced or rebuilt completely what would one pay to have that done? Never had that problem before and i dont even know how they work let alone how to troublle shoot it.
Also, are these good machines all around? :confused:
Thanks

By the way it is a 2000 model

Last edited:

sheepfoot

Hey barklee, some info would help ,hrs on unit, is it 2wd or 4wd, does it have a power shift or shuttle with a 4 speed, cab unit or open rops, did you check the oil level in the shuttle ?. The last 214 that i fixed cost around $45.00 and the one before it was $4300.00 so there is alot of differant areas to check when someone says it's bad, could be elect low voltage to the f/r shifter or trans valve. I would change filter/clean screen and do some quick voltage checks at the trans valve, pressure check the trans test ports and go from there but be ready to spend some $$$$.

barklee

Its got a full cab, 4wd, shuttle with the four speed. Oil looked fine, didnt remove the filter. Who makes that trans? Seems like thats a common thing for jcb hoes?.... i have ran across 3 of them in the last couple years. Are they good machines despite the trans?

Deon

I have never owned a JCB but I have operated one several times. A 1995 214. What I have noticed compared to my JD 310D. Frame and swing sections of the hoe are massive. Machine rock solid on the road and in the pit. Engine is quiet. Backhoe controls (wobble sticks) are hard to operate, I need to sit on the edge of the seat to see out the back window. Loader visibility is also quite impaired compared to my Deere. Steering wise, JD 2.5 turns lock to lock, JCB seems about 10 turns but I'm sure is more like 4 or 5 and turning radius is large. I'm not saying you won't like it. Lots of guys do. Unfortunately you can't drive it to try things out. Good luck finding a good used machine. It's always a challenge.

JCBiron

Who makes that trans? Seems like thats a common thing for jcb hoes?.... i have ran across 3 of them in the last couple years. Are they good machines despite the trans?

The transmission is made by JCB. One of the differences between them and "the other guys." As far as issues, we have had very little transmission related trouble in the 6 years we have been a dealer. Unfortunately, I am not a service guy, so I can't tell you where to even begin as far as repair, but I'm sure if you describe the symptoms a little better, someone on here may be able to shed some light. Good luck!

camrolex

hello i have a 1995 jcb 210s 4wd with shuttle trans the light and buzzer come on for trans pressure have changed trans fluid and filter and cleaned sump screen all clean. i am a new member looking for help thanks alex

JCBiron

hello i have a 1995 jcb 210s 4wd with shuttle trans the light and buzzer come on for trans pressure have changed trans fluid and filter and cleaned sump screen all clean. i am a new member looking for help thanks alex

Welcome Alex. If you go to JCB's website, www.jcbna.com, they have a dealer locator. I know there are many dealers in the northeast.

camrolex

thanks i am already in touch with my local dealer they are stumped looking for outside owners/ repairmen for experiance with any issues with this problem thanks alex

jasonw

i have a 1999 jcb 214s with approx 2400 hours it shifts into first and second fine but will no longer go into third and fourth once in a while it goes in does not slip but 99 percent of the time it wont go in does anyone know what a possible problem could be dealer said it could be electrical or possibly clutch packs but when it goes in its solid

MB@mp218

i have a 1999 jcb 214s with approx 2400 hours it shifts into first and second fine but will no longer go into third and fourth once in a while it goes in does not slip but 99 percent of the time it wont go in does anyone know what a possible problem could be dealer said it could be electrical or possibly clutch packs but when it goes in its solid

Jasonw,

I am assuming you have a power shift transmission. First check to make sure your battery voltage is >11 volts when this occurs. If it is lower the relays / transmission valves don't have enough energy to shift.

Second, check to see if the layshaft relay is functioning. If it is going bad it will sometimes shift into 3rd/4th and sometimes not. Mine would work fine when cold but not after running for awhile. These are standard relays which can be obtained at any auto parts store so finding a replacement is not a big issue. One way to quickly check is to swap the layshaft relay with another in the relay panel. Hopefully your op. manuel has the correct layout so you can quickly answer this. If this isn't it then you will have to look elsewhere. I would suspect an electrical problem ahead of any mechanical or hyd. shift valve issue in the transmission.

The shift lever / rotating switch can also be failing giving similar troubles.

xcmark

Occupation
construction
check with the JCB dealer in Brentwood NH. same company as Watertown but the shop up in NH has cheaper hourly rate.....

gmoon

JCB 214, cab, shuttle, 4x4 Transmission Problem

Hi Barklee, I am buying a JCB with the same/similar problem. I am searching for more information on how to diagnose the transmission problem.

Did you find a solution or more details for your JCB's transmission problem?

Its got a full cab, 4wd, shuttle with the four speed. Oil looked fine, didnt remove the filter. Who makes that trans? Seems like thats a common thing for jcb hoes?.... i have ran across 3 of them in the last couple years. Are they good machines despite the trans?

awheel

I also have a 214e, syn. shuttle. 4 wheel drive with trans. failure. My unit is a 2002 model. New filter, cleaned screen, new fluid etc. 3 times in 2 days. When it last worked it would not stay in 1st gear and slipped in any gear. It now blows the filter apart when started. I was told [by an independent repairman]there is another filter inside that may be clogged. Does anyone know where and how to access this filter? I have been quoted prices from $6,500 to $12,000 by different repairmen for an overhaul to answer your question on price.

Occupation
HD contract mechanic
There is a suction screen but no other seprate filter that I know of, the suction screen is located on the bottom Lh side and is accessed by 2 bolts holding an oval shaped plate approx 3in dia. Was there any metal in the filters? The sift tower bolts on with 4 bolts and comes off easily it has a ball socket that changes the direction of the lever if this ball is loose it may not fully engage a gear causing it to jump out. By removing the tower you can inspect the shift fork as well. Clutch pressures cold in neutral 9.7-12.8 @1000 rpm

robin yates uk

as an owner/operator I never had any problems with the transmission or indeed any major components with the various JCB 3c, Sitemaster 3cx. A bullet proof work horse.

rezod1

I have a 1997 sitemaster, it has jumped out of gear in the past but was a bad relay issue. They have relays for most functions so check electrical system first. Have had my machine for 10 years with no other issues, a good work horse.

Rockyboy 2009

Hi there,
I have a JCB 214 4x4 1996, when I first start the Backhoe it runs just fine after 5 to 10 Minutes it almost want move forward or Backwards any more, maybe you can help me find out the problem.
Thanks a lot in advance
Bruno

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I've owned my 215S3 1997 since 2001 ish. Has 7000 hrs now.

Rear axle internals let go twice. !!!!! Expensive. and unexplained.

Trans is fine, no problems.

My sticks are stiff and hard to move as well. Never used to be that way. I'm thinking a hyd valve rebuild is in order.

Engine redone at 5000hrs, wasn't too bad but wanted it out of the way.

Elect problems are the big item. Relays in the side panel. Poor grounds. microswitches in the shuttle handle.

I would suspect electrical for every problem first, try to rule that out.

Good luck

Ken

Rockyboy 2009

Hi there,
any luck finding out the problem?
I have a JCB 214 1996 4 x 4, the first 5 t0 10 minutes, it runs just fine after that it barely goes forth and back anymore, you have any Idea what the problem could be?
Thanks in advance
Bruno

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
When you say it barely goes back and forth, elaborate. Strange noises? Does it seem like the trans is slipping, or something is locked up. Or not going into gear?

more info please.

Ken