• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 214 Series 2 Bent dipper ram

tpitt

Occupation
Heavy fire equip operator
I have a 1995 JCB that the dipper ram started leaking. Took it to a machine shop and the dipper ram is bent. When I took it off the pin that holds the cylinder was broke in half. I for the life of me cannot figure out how this happened. Maybe it was broke when I bought it?

Does anyone know of a good source for a good used one? New they are very, very, proud of them! Serial number on hoe is 433511. Thanks, Terry

Power Tan

Occupation
Heavy equipment mechanic
Terry, any hydraulic shop should be able to make you a new rod. Make sure you check the auxiliary relief valves. If the controls were ever changed (ISO to DEER or visa versa) and the ARV's were not swapped could cause this. Going off memory the boom ARV is 4800 and dipper is 3800............Jim

tpitt

Occupation
They want $1000 to make a new ram. I can get one from England for around $600. I will probably do that.

hammertime

That sounds about right. I spent $1000 for a new rod in Phoenix for my three point hitch. afterwords i thought i should have just bought a new one.

tpitt

Occupation
I actually found a place about 150 miles from me who will do it for $350 to $400. I'm taking it to them Tuesday.

sheepfoot

I would agree to get a gauge and check the circuit reliefs on the dipper. Was the pin broken at the tube end or the rod eye end?. If its the rod eye end was the pin worn, bore of the stick damaged. Was the rod bent down/up/rt/lt. Does the stick pin and bushing at the boom have a lot of wear, that will also bend/break a rod over time.

tpitt

Occupation
The pin was broken on the tube end. The ram was bent to the side. Doesn't seem to have any excessive slop. We're kind of thinking it may have been hit before I bought it. I still can't figure out how you could bend a dipper ram. When the hoe is out the ram is back in the tube.

Delmer

I still can't figure out how you could bend a dipper ram. When the hoe is out the ram is back in the tube.

Hitting a tree branch while it's on a trailer is pretty common, and it wouldn't leave any gouges in the metal either.

tpitt

Occupation
Hitting a tree branch while it's on a trailer is pretty common, and it wouldn't leave any gouges in the metal either.

I bet you hit the nail on the head. Never even thought about that.

tpitt

Occupation
Fixed! A little less than $800 for everyting. Didn't think that was too bad.