• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 1400b fluid types

tpoag

I just bought a JCB 1400B backhoe and was wondering what type hyd oil to use. Also,the guy I bought it from had just changed the fluid in the transmission and said he used hyd oil, even though I think it calls for ATF.
Any ideas.....thanks

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Atf in the tranny the hydraulic is climate dependant .

Bruce George

I got a maintenance manual for my 1400b. It only said JCB transmission fluid so I bought it from dealer and its expensive ! When I examined it it smells and looks like ordinary hydraulic oil and the can says 10w.im tempted to use that next time but i don't think ATF is the right stuff at all. The previous owner put that in mine and I drained it off because I was having issues. I'm not an expert on this but these are my thoughts. Bruce

Bruce George

The gallon jug that I bought says JCB transmission fluid 10 W. I'm going to do more checking around but if I try it I will use 10 weight oil not 31. I asked at the dealer when I bought it and he said " well your not supposed to " that sounded encouraging to me. I'm not a mechanic so get some other opinions too.

Bruce George

My apologies I didn't read your question properly. I'm really not sure. My manual say "JCB Special Hyd Fluid " so went and bought 1 gallon from dealer to see what it was. It was a 46 fluid so since that I've bought 5 gallons of shell 46 for 1/3 the price and it has been fine. I would guess that 31 would be fine too.

l8000

Hi all, I am the proud new owner of a jcb 1400b with extend a hoe. Mine is leaking hydraulic fluid out of the tilt cylinders for the loader bucket. I need to fill hydraulics so I can raise the loader and stinger to load it on my trailer. I assume hydraulic fluid goes in the tank underneath the front of the hood. My question is what fluid is safe to use? I would like to use standard 303 tractor fluid but I don't know if i can. Also how do you fill tranny and what fluid goes in there. I have read yes and no on ATF.

Thank you for your help.

Delmer

Yes, you can use 303, but you can also **** in the reservoir until it's full enough to lift the loader and get loaded.

303 is an old spec for a low grade oil from the days of ag tractors, so if you're planning to change the fluid soon anyway, you'll be fine.

l8000

Yes I will be changing all filters and fluids once I get it home. I'll plan to use 303 as a temporary fix.

Delmer

Perfect. If you can do it safely, you can lift the loader and backhoe boom and stick up, then drain the fluid and remove filter, then lower the functions to get more of the old oil out of the cylinders. If you have other equipment and help, you can work the other functions too, except the stabilizers they probably have "load checks" or something like that.