• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IUOE Local 12 Apprentice

oXoGINAoXo

Hi guys.....My name is Gina and I am looking to apply for the Local 12 apprenticeship program. I think I would rather be a surveyor than an operator. They are accepting apps. starting january of next year....My Dad was....well is still a member of local 12 (30 some odd yrs now). My question is what sort of things will they be looking for on the exam...I would like to prepare myself a bit if i could. I would ask my dad but he didn't do the apprenticeship, he just put himself on the C list and worked his way up....Any help would be great!!!! Thanks guys!

Tommygun

Occupation
Operating Engineer Local 12, CA
When you apply they will tell you to study books on the civil service exam, like postal workers and county workers take but thats bull****. Im an Operator and my test had addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.Mechanics as in gearing, ratios, and pulleys, some grammer and spelling. Basically anything from high school. Well good luck Gina and remember if you do become a surveyor, learn all you can. On my first job setting trench grade surveyors with 10 years experiance gave me measurements between 1 foot to 5 feet off and surveyd 5 miles that way. it took a few days and thousands of dollars to catch their mistake they guaranteed to be right.

oXoGINAoXo

I had them mail me a pamphlet type thing and it had smaple questions in the back...Seems like they just want to make sure you're not a complete idiot! LOL. Thanks for your advice.....I hope to never be "that girl" who makes a mistake like that...how awful!

I appreciate you response...They are allowing apps. to be syubimtted Jan of next year.....It says women are encourged to apply....Do they need more women? Would this possibly make it easier for me to be accepted?

dozerdave

Hi Gina,

In the area covered by IUOE Local 3, contractors were required and probably still are to have a certian % of their work force hours to be minority hours. Women were considered minoritys also. There were 4 women on the project and a few other minoritys filling out the crew. The company kept us well advised about how we stood concerning our minority hours.