• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is SAE 10W-30 oil the same as Hydrolic/trans 303 tractor fluid?

duramax-rob

Occupation
Retired bodyman
Hey fellow oil burners!!!!! I have an old Allis chalmers 816 backhoe and the hydrolics call for SAE 10w-30 oil. Will universal hydrolic tractor fluid 303 work and is it about the same viscosity as the 10w-30? I drained the system and rebuilt the pump and don't want to burn up the new pump.

I appreciate any help. Thanks Rob

sea_goin_dude

I would check with a local tractor dealer/service center on the oil. I don't think there is that much difference in the two.
Also, If your hydraulic pump burned up, it wasn't due to a difference in oil. Could there be a possibility that there was no oil to the pump at the time? Or, did the oil get very hot. Overheating causes the internal parts of a pump to expand and the parts can get tight enough with the expansion that they will gall or wear badly then when cooled down the oil can bypass around those parts and you will not be able to build the normal pressure.. Vane pumps will wear the ends of the rotor and after cooling they will not seal,hold the pressure as usual and you cant get you normal operating pressure back up. Only cure is to replace the internal parts, cartridge in lots of industrial pumps and I assume tractors also.
But If you have plenty of oil and it doesn't exceed the normal operating temperature range, you should have no problem with the pump being damaged.
Also check and if there is a filter/strainer on the inlet side (in the oil reservoir tank) be sure it is not clogged or needs replaceing. Any resistance on the input side of a hydraulic pump can/will cause the pump to cavitate and if bad enough, will cause damage.
If your tractor calls for 10-w-30, that's the way I would go. Should be no problems because of oil. I would look for another problem/cause.