• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Insurance Company

Dickjr.

I have been with the same company for 10 to 12 years. As of lately they seem to be getting harder to deal with. I am looking at other companies and asking which direction to go? This is for vehicle , liability etc.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've dealt with Progressive and Great West for years and have no complaints. Great West is higher usually but can do more than others as far as limits. I also use an agency in MN that can pull from a lot of companies. The agency is the important part IMO. PM me if you want the details of the agency I used. If they can't help I bet they can point you in the right direction.

Junkayrd

sheepfoot

It seems like you have to change every three years, then nine years later your back to the one that jacked the rates to start with.

Dickjr.

The issue is over 250$. I added a truck and forgot to send the 250$ in. 10 days late , they have cancelled everything. I have paid them 60 gs in 10 years with no claims. The reason I forgot to send the money , busy working and I have had 20K in repairs I'm tending to. I hold money for people for 90 days at a time and its a hell of a lot more than 250$.

06Pete

Try Erie insurance I've been with them 8 years never jacked rates paid good on my home owners claim and always pretty easy to deal with other than you have to report your drivers to them and they approve. But this keeps their rates where when I call around to price check the other companies won't even quote when you tell them who you are with. The agent has a lot to do with how it all works to.

Dickjr.

06Pete , I have an agent for them about 30 miles away. I will try them and get a quote. I appreciate all the comments on this. My sons car insurance was less than 1000 a year , it went to 2600 and the agent told me that was a really good rate. I am thinking about buying a 500 car and making it his principal car. Seems like its getting harder every year to stay in business.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
1. Do not shop insurance by price! You may pay less now but when you have a claim you may really pay for it then. You really don't want to be sitting in a court room because your insurance company is trying not to pay!

2. You have access to the net. USE IT! Research your company or the company you are thinking about going through to see if there are a lot of problems with that company. Some are slow in settling claims, try to deny anything they can and or tries to find any excuse to deny a claim they can.

3. Do not take you agents word for things. Most have to only know the different policies, not insurance laws in your state. They might think something is covered that isn't or that something isn't covered that is. The companies all have web site and 1-800 numbers. They are very willing to answer questions and make quotes in order to get your business! They will also explain a policy, coverage and exemptions!

4. Don't ask for advice on insurance on forums like this. Insurance laws vary state to state. What applies here may not apply there.

Rick

kthompson

As a 30 year in the insurance business will tell you to trust the agent, but not all agents. If you can not trust the agent to know the law and the product then you are not talking to the right agent. I always tell people ask them to point to it in the contract and if they can not then find another agent. They are out there. Realize if the agent is doing a good job for you they are spending a good bit of their time on this and let them know you will be loyal for that IF what they bring meets the needs. Too many people will ask for quotes and never ever respond. If the agent knows you are serious you normally get a better job. Same as you do in quoting jobs.

But insurance laws do vary from state to state. One thing each state should have is on their state Dept of Ins web site list of complaints against any company and how they turned out. Some or dumb complaints and some are really valid but gives a good review. At least my DOI will go into detail with you on those IF YOU WALK into their office but not on the phone. No idea why. Your DOI may have history of rate increase which will give you idea on stability of their rates.

On vehicle insurance talk with body shops and get their feed back. They work with them. You may find a shop who only works on a brand or two's claims but ask them.

Do go to the company's web site and some are very helpful and some will have you so confused your head is swimming. People who do the web sites are not always insurance educated.

As other people who they use in the construction business.

One thing to remember companies are being bought and merging all the time and ole so and so company by what ever name today may have nothing about them that resembles their company name of say even 5 years ago.

Do ask what their financial rating and then ask what is the best and worst grade that rating service gives. You do want a company who can afford to pay the claim.

Now back to not trusting an agent, to me your agent/agency failed you greatly if what you said happened is what happened. They got notice of the failure to pay and with the size of your premium it made business sense for them to want to keep your business and why in the world they did not call you to warn you is beyond smart. It is dumb. Such as that in one reason I strongly suggest you have a local agent over going to a web site or toil free number is the agent should be bringing you education on options, products and company and coverage needed and not needed and then the service. Never heard of a home office doing more than mailing a late notice and then termination notice to an insured while many times the local agent picks up the phone and calls the insured or the company to prevent such or to get it taken care of quickly.

Really sorry for your problem there. One suggestion, if you really decide to go direct to the insurance company call their customer service line (go to their web site and find it do not ask the sales side for it) and see how long the hold time is. Today I was on hold with a customer service number for about an hour waiting to make request for one of my insureds. Still ended up having to leave message on what was needed and if they honor the message all will be fine but if not I do log such calls and they normally have recorded lines on such to prove what the message was. I have the luxury of putting phone on speaker and go ahead with other work and for a guy in the filed that is not a real option. Now in all this there are some companies who only sell direct that do a good job.

As to the idea on your son some companies with place him on the highest price vehicle the house hold owns regards of what you say while others will allow you to buy a clunker and put it as his primary vehicle. Just have to ask.