• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Injection pump

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
You know the more I think about this I know why it didnt line up correctly, whoever did this before didn't have the timing probe so they must have just set it directly at tdc and called it good. Explains why it always was a little smoky anyways. I was also mowing when I thought about that hahaha
Sometimes the best thing is to walk away from a problem and do something somewhat mindless to let the brain do it's work with out being interrupted by your "thinking"!

I'd mention some of my best ideas come to me while taking a shower, but thepumpguy would probably make so wise remark about that;)

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
LOL.. ANYBODY I work with will/can tell you about how many times I've woke up in the middle of the nite & went into work to fix something that was kickin my ass, that I FIXED IN MY SLEEP.. 12-1-2- or 3AM after working a 8-10hr shift..
My time card will show its true.. lol..
& I HOPE YOU KNOW I'm just pullin your chain?? I "thought" we were kool like dat..lol

kshansen

Occupation
LOL.. ANYBODY I work with will/can tell you about how many times I've woke up in the middle of the nite & went into work to fix something that was kickin my ass, that I FIXED IN MY SLEEP.. 12-1-2- or 3AM after working a 8-10hr shift..
My time card will show its true.. lol..
& I HOPE YOU KNOW I'm just pullin your chain?? I "thought" we were kool like dat..lol
kool here! And I to have figured out things in bed, dang it that came out wrong! And that too! Like they say when you find yourself in a hole the best thing is to stop digging! I stop!

Jackie j

Sometimes the best thing is to walk away from a problem and do something somewhat mindless to let the brain do it's work with out being interrupted by your "thinking"!

I'd mention some of my best ideas come to me while taking a shower, but thepumpguy would probably make so wise remark about that;)

I usually end up having an epiphany at the weirdest moments and then it drives me crazy because I cant just go back and test my "theory". Then whenever I get back to the machine I forgot what the epiphany was haha

kshansen

Occupation
I usually end up having an epiphany at the weirdest moments and then it drives me crazy because I cant just go back and test my "theory". Then whenever I get back to the machine I forgot what the epiphany was haha
There have been times when I find that answer and to be safe I have gotten up in the middle of the night to jot down enough to remind me of the solution the next morning.

partsandservice

I think I can explain... ( to time the pump at 4* BTDC) The new pump will timed correctly to the gear hub from manufacturer . You could line up the timing marks , or use a dial indicator on number six valve to find exact overlap. Mark crank balancer to front cover for tdc. Determine the diameter of the balancer then divide by 360 and multiply by 4. Take that measurement and mark 4* BTDC on the balancer. used a string to account for the curve. Roll engine slightly opposite of rotation , then come back in normal rotation direction until 4* mark lines up. Install pump with timing pin lined up. As far as the timing using cly 2 , because it may be easier to get than 1. Because piston 2 would be in the middle of its travel you would measure 4* of piston travel, rather than 4* before TDC ON piston 2. 4* travel on 2 would be the same as 4* BTDC on 1. The special tool may be nessesary to accomplished using 2 to time.

hosspuller

I think I can explain... ( to time the pump at 4* BTDC) The new pump will timed correctly to the gear hub from manufacturer . You could line up the timing marks , or use a dial indicator on number six valve to find exact overlap. Mark crank balancer to front cover for tdc. Determine the diameter of the balancer then divide by 360 and multiply by 4. Take that measurement and mark 4* BTDC on the balancer. used a string to account for the curve. Roll engine slightly opposite of rotation , then come back in normal rotation direction until 4* mark lines up. Install pump with timing pin lined up. As far as the timing using cly 2 , because it may be easier to get than 1. Because piston 2 would be in the middle of its travel you would measure 4* of piston travel, rather than 4* before TDC ON piston 2. 4* travel on 2 would be the same as 4* BTDC on 1. The special tool may be nessesary to accomplished using 2 to time.

I think you meant "Circumference" of the crank balancer not Diameter ... Circumference is the distance around the balancer. Diameter is the distance side to side across the center. Mathematically, the Circumference is equal to Diameter x 3.14

Jackie j

I'm starting to think that this machine is possibly the devil in disguise lol, after all the fuel system repairs it runs great........but won't move now. Always something isn't it.

Jackie j

So after a new fnr control, new injection pump, lift pump, fuel lines, filters, voltage protection module, numerous blown hyd hoses, timing cover, crank seal, water pump, and a whole lot of bad words the loader runs perfect and moves in all gears again.......TGIF hahahahaha