• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ingersoll Rand SD70 Pro Pac

Jcarrell

I am new to the site, and I am sorry if this is not allowed.. I am in a huge bind here and need to see if anyone has the wiring diagrams for the IR SD70 Pro Pac. I got the service manual and parts manual but they are for the VOLVO SD70, as the yellow-house told us they were the same since IR got bought out by VOLVO, but they aren't.. not even close..

Ben Witter

You need to provide a serial number to get the correct manual. They are very serial number specific.

Also they may very well be the same since the acquisition by Volvo but your machine is probably much older than that.

Jcarrell

I will see what I can get tonight for a serial number. It's been raining like crazy here so I may have to do a little swimming...

If I remember correctly the machine is a 1996 model year.. not sure when Volvo made the purchase...

Vetech63

Ingersol wire schematics leave a lot to be desired. Most I have seen were not very accurate to begin with. What type of issue are you having?

Ben Witter

Having worked on IR products for close to 30 years I prefer their schematics to Volvo's schematics. And as long as you have the correct schematic for the sn you are working on they are very accurate.
Now if you are talking harness routing and connector location that becomes another discussion.

Jcarrell

The main issue is that the thing won't go forward or reverse. My uncle had another mechanic look at it before I moved back home, and he wired a 3-way toggle switch in because he said the rheostat on the forward/reverse lever on the right side was bad. We purchased a new handle, but the wires have been cut and bypassed to the selonoid that determines forward or reverse. So I am trying to find the diagrams so that I can figure out what he bypassed as well as wanting to get it back to original condition.

Ben Witter

Are you sure you have a ProPac? They should have a cable operated propulsion control. Which way does the hood open? Does it open behind the seat and tilt back or does it open at the rear and tilt upward/forward?

A sn will help a lot.

Jcarrell

I am currently out of town for a graduation, so when I get home I will get that sn.. I don't remember how the hood comes off because he broke it awhile back and hasn't gotten another one.

Jcarrell

sorry for taking awhile to get back on here.. I got back from vacation and had to put out some fires at work. I was able to get the serial number (161443) off the machine, and confirm that it is a 70 Pro Pac. I was also able to find the correct wiring diagrams for this thing, as they were under the seat in the black bag that all the paperwork came in. I had some free time today, and did notice that there is a cable that goes from the forward reverse handle down to what I am assuming is the propulsion valve. Using the wiring diagrams that were magically found under the seat, I got the machine to start and run by using the key rather then having to use wire to hold the fuel cut off valve open, and jump the starter with a screw driver. I also got the machine to move forward using the toggle switch the previous mechanic installed, but there is still no reverse, and I would like to get rid of this toggle switch all together..

The toggle switch is wired to key on and ground, then there are 4 wires coming in from a solenoid coil on top of the propulsion valve? or at least what I believe is the propulsion valve. The coil has 3 post, one is ground, and the other two see + or ground depending on what position the 3 way switch is. The original wiring harness for the coil was cut out, so I am not sure where the coil is originally supposed to connect to. Any help on this would be awesome..

Sorry for the long response. and thank you again for all the help!

Ben Witter

The cable from the propulsion lever should attach to a lever on the pump. The coil you are referring to should be the drive enable solenoid. I believe that model had one. It should be on/off and enable servo pressure to the displacement control. This should not cause the machine to travel in one direction only.
It can be very hard to tell what some "mechanic" may have done to cobble up the system. I am still looking for schematics but it is not easy finding that old info.

Jcarrell

Hey Ben, thanks for the response. I was able to pull the pump off and get all that fun stuff apart, and I am thinking the problem is that the lever that goes from the pump to the propulsion system was broke, and so I was able to go forward but when I would try to come back and go to reverse the lever wouldnt pull down. I am going to put it all back together with the old pump that the other "mechanic" didnt cobble together and see if I can get it back to the original state. I was thinking that the solenoid was the propulsion shunt/brake solenoid, and that once energized it allowed flow of hydraulic oil for the forward/reverse movement. So with what you said in your last reply, this makes me think I am on the right path with that thinking.

Ben Witter

Yes it shifts and send oil to the displacement control and to release the park brakes. The power is sent from the park brake switch. The ground goes through the diode.