• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Increasing fuel economy on 60 Series Detroit

KRiS_660

I'm open to options on what can be done to increase fuel mileage . ECU ?

Also noticed small amout of deisel coming from hole on housing of fuel delivery pump that mounts to compressor today, could this cause decrease in fuel economy ?

KRiS

celticcrusader

fuel pump is starting to go bad, is fuel going in motor? is oil level going up? what 60series, 11L or 12L? you could derate horsepower, less fuel =less horsepower and yes a fuel leak will kill fuel econm.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
Try vortex.com. I put one on my series 60 (1998) when I first got it. Since I didn't have a base line I can't tell you what difference it made other than it increased my low end. It used to fall off below 1500rpm but now pulls good down to about 1300rpm. Not as good as a CAT but definitely better than it used to be. I think my mileage is pretty good. When I am just hauling dirt, I get close to 8mpg (of course the back trip is empty). I took a 250 mile trip up over a mountain pass pulling my backhoe on an equipment trailer and got 7.8mpg for the trip.
The vortex was originally designed for the series 50 (which is the 12.7 with the 2 back cylinders removed). It is used a lot in buses which run the series 50. Although originally used to increase mileage, it was discovered it also helped emissions - helps to get more air into the cylinder for cleaner burning and hopefully better mileage.
I found out about it from a friend that does diesel drags and sled pulls. He is always dynoing his motor and noticed an increase after installing one of the vortexs. They make them for most motors now. I dont know if they are effective on all of them, but is seems to be good on my 60.
I think I paid less than $70 delivered to my door so it is not a big risk if it doesn't work. The theory behind it sounds plausible.

Last edited:

KRiS_660

2000 FLD120 converted dump, 12.7 detroit 430/470 .I'll check oil level asap.

Attachments

• IMG00073.jpg
    IMG00073.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 4,123
  • IMG00075.jpg
    IMG00075.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 3,235