• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Impact's "Things Done at Work"

Dualie

well the STD cab for the upper on pretty much every link belt crane made in the last 30 years is $38,000 just the bare steel cab shell no glass no NOTHING doesnt even include the door

chevy43

Not exactly "things done at work" but, posting it here anyhow.

I'm not really a mechanic, but, I've got a little mechanical knowledge. We have a Grove TMS760E. 2001 Model. Nice unit. Couple of years ago, we kept having electrically problems when rotating the upper. At some locations, it would run fine, other locations it would go nuts. We found the electrical swivel snd pulled the can off the top. Full of water. Dried it out, cleaned all the contacts, and it run right again...for a few days when the same symptons occured again. Again, remove the can, and same moisture problems. Thing is, it hadn't rained. So, after checking and watchng closer, we found out the water swivel was seping and blowing steam into the electrical swivel. To remove the water swivel, everything has to be removed..the hydraulic swivel, the electrical swivel, and the water swivel. We didn't have time to get into that, so, we disconnected the hoses, bypassing the water swivel. Just didn't have any heat in the upper. Since I don't run it much...who cares? Right? LOL

Well, a few weeks ago, the hydraulic swivel starts puking oil. At first just a drip, then kept getting worse. So, we decided to break it all dwn to fix it. The Grove manual says to raise the boom to an elevation you can get into the unit, and strap some 4x4's onto the ram, in case the check valves don't hold. (A man has to get up between the boom and cylinder.) I understand the check valves are SUPPOSED to hold it, but...No way would I allow my men to get themselves in that position. We do a lot of structural steel but couldn't find the right size beams to prop the boom up. So, I ordered two W8 x 35# beams and made a cradle on the end to support the pin where the cylinder attaches to the boom. The beams had to be like 19' long. Slide the beams under the pins and welded them to the deck. Maybe overkill, but, It just feels and looks safer than two 12' 4'x4's.

Anyhow, got evrything tore apart. The water swivel was wore out. Grove has changed the design, so we just ordered a new one...$400 or so I think. I had NO idea how a hydraulic swivel would work, but, I do now. Wow, what a design. There's some smart people around. The guts looks similar to a piston with rings. Instead of the piston working like in an engine, it simply rotates. (cont)

Why would water be piped up the boom?

chevy43

Sorry for not knowing - but heat what? I'm from Ca. so I don't know much about really cold weather.

You mean for the cab?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Sorry for not knowing - but heat what? I'm from Ca. so I don't know much about really cold weather.

You mean for the cab?

Yes, The engine is on the lower unit and all functions for the crane go thru swivels so one can turn 360 degrees. We had a subcontractor on a project a few years ago that had the same issue. They had the water shut off and a generator strapped to the counterweight with an electric heater in the cab. OSHA came by and red tagged the machine and fined them. They had to bring in another crane to finish a 4 day hoisting job.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I've not posted much for several months. Been busier than a cat covering up &&$%. Got the 100 ton Liebherr extend cylinder rebuilt. Only cost $35,000. Week before last, the extend cylinder on the 165 started leaking. Beating my head against the wall. Never happens whenever the rig is sitting at the shop. Bad timing as we're really busy. Got a lift next week that requires the 165 ton crane. So, on top of the expense of repairing the crane, I'll be out the expense of renting another crane.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I know how everyone likes pictures. Here's a video link.

https://www.youtube.com/********=ooIHcEZGIwg

Interesting project. We built the support tower you see here. 10" schedule 40 pipe columns at the bottom. 8" schedule 40 pipe columns in the middle. 6" schedule 40 pipe columns at the top. The top platform is about 160' above the ground. There are four bucket elevators inside the structure with 178' discharge height. 22' is in the ground. The lift is one of the four head sections. It weighs about 5,000 pounds. One of the 4 head sections will weigh about 7,500 pounds. The unit you see on the platform is the distributor which weighs 17,500 pounds. The earthmoving guys are helping to install stone columns to support a 1.3 million bushel grain bin. There's 675 of them in the one tank. The project has a total of 850. Listening to them beat rock all day gives me a headache.

ichudov

Try this one: https : //www.youtub e.com / watch ? v = ooIHcEZGIwg

```````````` REMOVE SPACES ''''''''''''

Or search youtube for: ooIHcEZGIwg

"Tosh Head Section"

Did I get this right?

Last edited:

Knepptune

Glad your still busy Impact.

Did you have the cylinder custom made or what? That's a scary number for a tele cylinder. On the bright side I guess it's good that the crane only has one of those.

GrainBinMan

Curious, because we get into a miniature version of what you do; are you saying you manufactured the support tower, or just set it up for the customer?

Was wondering who designed the tower, and how they decided what size steel to use?

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Try this one: https : //www.youtub e.com / watch ? v = ooIHcEZGIwg

```````````` REMOVE SPACES ''''''''''''

Or search youtube for: ooIHcEZGIwg

"Tosh Head Section"

Did I get this right?

That's it ichudov. Thank you

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Glad your still busy Impact.

Did you have the cylinder custom made or what? That's a scary number for a tele cylinder. On the bright side I guess it's good that the crane only has one of those.

No, just had to have it rechromed.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Curious, because we get into a miniature version of what you do; are you saying you manufactured the support tower, or just set it up for the customer?

Was wondering who designed the tower, and how they decided what size steel to use?

Hey GrainBinMan. I've seen your photos of your project. Nice work.

I hired an engineering firm to design the support structure. If it was a 100' tall structure on a farm, I may possibly guess at the steel sizes and move on. But, four 178' elevators? I feel better knowing it's been designed. Our engineer designs it, we detail it on Cad and we fabricate the steel in our shop. WE work with the same engineering firm all the time, so we know how each other thinks.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
The 165 is still in the shop. We're still behind schedule, and still in bad need of a crane. So I flew to Houston to look at a Liebherr LTM 1160. 2014 with 600 hours. Verbally bought it. Fly home tomorrow. Sign papers and make arrangements to get it home. Hopefully next Friday it will be home. Luckily my son lives here so we spent yesterda,y and all day today hanging out.

Knepptune

Dang impact.

Movin and shakin. Congrats on that. Can I come touch it sometime. Lol consider me jealous.

On second thought I'm not sure I want all your headaches and responsibilities.

crane operator

Congrats on the new crane.

So did you get a liebherr because you like your liebherr better than your Grove GMK, or just because it was available. I'd be interested to know what you like better about each one. A former boss had both GMK's and Liebherrs. I thought his GMK 165 was a little simpler than his Liebherr's, but it was older also, it was more of a full power boom, before the twin-pinning booms with only one tele cylinder.

I much prefer the solid axle's on the liebherr's, vs the mega trak on the GMK's, I think they are a more robust system. I didn't care for the liebherr swage on the end of the load line, instead of a becket. It's easy to reeve, but its a pain if you need to cut off 20' b/c someone left a loop in it putting in block, or drove over it when putting in jib.

I thought parts availability was similar, but some GMK's are cummins downstairs, which makes that a little easier for parts than the Mercedes, or Liebherr badged engines. I about died when they wanted $8,000 for a starter for one liebherr lower engine. It was a captured part from bosch, built by bosch, but only available from liebherr. But it did look a little silly when we were starting a 1.5 million dollar crane with a hammer rap on the side of the starter.

Also was just curious if the new crane is one engine or two. Liebherr keeps going back and forth on which is better, I can about hear the engineers like a old lite beer commercial "one engine-less weight!" nein --- "two engines-less fuel cost" Nein "one engine-less engine cost!" nein "two engines- more reliable!"

I always thought two engines made more sense above 100 ton, but I don't have to design and build two engines that meet tier whatever california wants either.

That and it really stinks if the lower engine won't run, and you can't get at the lower engine because the boom is in the rest, and with the boom in the rest, you can't jack up the lower cab to get at the motor that won't start. All because they thought a second engine to run the upper hydraulics was just to expensive. Yes, I've been there. Look at a GMK 4080 sometime. The lower engine fuel filters are buried on top of the motor, under the cab, under the boom. Oh baby.

My feeling at the end of the day was that the liebherr vs GMK, was almost a Ford-Chevy thing, each with its good and bad points. If I'm ever in that market, mine will probably be liebherr. My wife catches me cruising Machinery Trader, lusting for one of those 120 tonners with 171' of main.

Anyways- good luck with the new rig- glad your busy enough to need it.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Liebherr/Grove? Ford Chevy? Good and bad points with both. I own both. Love our Grove TMS 760. Fast set up. Easy to maintain. But, limited boom and capacity. Get much larger and you're about forced into AT's. AT's are great when they're working right, but, when they're not...Like a Personal Computer. I would have been OK with a Grove. In fact, we have a good Grove AT tech guy from Nashville we work with. Whenever I decided on the Liebherr, my biggest concern was service. Liebherr is also great to work with, but, with technicians as far away as they are, it can be a problem. Timing is everything. The crane that happened to fit the bill for what we were looking for, at the time we're looking for it, happened to be a Liebherr.