• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH TD30 (NZ) Atom Ant

RayC

Occupation
Roading Manager
Road Transport and Contracting

Great to see all the posts...and that topic has created some interest. ..Enclosing a copy of advert in the Oct 62 edition of Road Transport and Contracting....resembles similiar to machine that I recall but with a bush cab.... Malcolm thanks for the numbers listed of IH dozers...can you recall the number of TD30's that had a cable blade

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,929

pudding

man you guys always find the coolest toys up you neck of the woods

was talking to a customer of mine about detriot engines tonight on phone, will take camera next time i go out there, he got H30B, H60C, H90, TD25C, T6, and thats just the IH, he also got 2 terex scrapers, 3 agtrucks with detriots, hitachi LX150, EX200-5, kumatsu D65,

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Back in the 60s the then Ministry of Works had 3 or 4 BTD 20s in their Tauranga depot which was down at sulphur point in those days. I can never remember seeing them on a job any where and for as long as I can remember they just sat there, probably a goob buy for someone as they had never done much work.

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
J Pavans Gear

Pronto - found my b&w pics !
1st shot is all three IH 295's.
These machines were ex Earthmovers Waikato and two of them had cartoon characters painted on the sides.
To the extreme right of the scrapers is a TD-25 towing a Birtley 80 scraper (out of picture)

2nd shot is his TD-24 - its a 241 series parked in the trees next to an AC HD-16.

3rd shot is the HD-16.

All of this gear was in pretty good condition at the time I took the photos in 1975.
The location was Crofton Downs.

Attachments

• JP fleet.jpg
    JP fleet.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 1,995
  • JP TD24.jpg
    JP TD24.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 1,779
  • JP HD16.jpg
    JP HD16.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 1,912

WabcoMan

Occupation
Fouhy Mahar & Thompsom

Pronto - you also mentioned Fouhy, Mahar & Thompson in one of your earlier posts.
This shot was taken on their last job at Maungarakei (pronounced morn-gar-rack-ee for all our overseas friends).

Apart from the usual suspects there are two Cat compactor conversions in the picture (to the left of the TS-14s) a DW-15 (45C series) and a DW-20 (21C series)

Enjoy :drinkup

Attachments

• FMT.jpg
    FMT.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 1,705

pudding

wow great pictures, keep em coming,

if your in christchurch, there is a bar in town in a alley way with a bunch of other bars, its called the fish and chip bar, next time i am there i am going up stairs to see if they are running the loop video they got made, it shows clips of the clyde dam, benmore etc

i wanna see it for my self, see what its about

pronto

Hi Wabcoman. These are fantastic! The machines at Crofton Downs are almost in the same place - judging by the houses in the background. Obviously, when that job stopped, so did the machines - forever!

The Fouhy Maher shot is great too. As I mentioned, I know one of their old operators, so when I see him next I'll show him -as an encouragement to search out some of his own pictures. If youhad any more I'd love to see those as well.

Neil D

Occupation
contractor
Malcom thanks for posting that pic of the TD30,any more?
I think it was in the Payliner book that the first production of the td30 had final drive issues-IH withdrew the model for two years until they sorted the problem,unfortunately their reputation was rubbish by then. I hope this is correct no doubt I'ill get corrected if wrong:notworthy

Neil

malcolm

Td30

Hi Neil D Sorry no that is a web pic i found I was an IH tractor apprentice in the early 6os (a busy time ) I recall Baker const in NZ took two to the matahina hydro dam progect to rip rock . The rock was that hard the operators would back out over the edge to get the ripper in. IH had a mechanic sitting with those machines for a long time just keeping them going but it was not all the machines fault . They were given an oh after the job at IH expense we did both at cambridge the 817 had piston scuffing problems I remember that every 817 owner got a modification o/h at IH expense . If you look at that photo you can see the grease point for the hyd trac adjuster is turning in the frame it is located in a square in the rear of the frame which would brake off bloody anoying when it goes out of sight I think I have some world wide production nos watch this space cheers malcolm

Neil D

Occupation
contractor
Malcolm
Its fasinating to read of your experiences with IH please tell us more!!
I am interested in the both the good points and bad points of the TD30,are there any similarities with the TD25c?

Neil

pronto

International machines at Crofton Downs, Wellington, NZ

Just a follow up from the pieces on the gear parked up in Crofton Downs

I spoke with a someone who knew more about the history today and he said the Earthmovers Waikato International scrapers came direct from the Todd Motors factory site in Porirua. I'm sure there would be some good pictures in the local archives of these in action.

WabcoMan

Occupation
IH295's of Earthmovers Waikato

Hi pronto,

Yes, I saw those machines at the Todd site but couldn't get any photos.

However, I disagree a little with your mans info as to their fate as I saw two of these machines at the Caterpillar dealers yard in Lower Hutt.
They were traded in by Earthmovers Waikato on some Cat 631C's (which went down to the hydroelectric site at Twizel).
The Cat dealer (Gough, Gough & Hamer) sold them to Pavan.:pointhead

pronto

Cheers Wabcoman, he was a little vague but it was an interesting conversation about the history of all this gear. What reminded me was seeing the Crofton site up for Mortgagee Auction in the newspaper. The land incudes the area where the 3 scrapers and dozers are sitting so that could mean they finally have to move.

As an aside, there are some fantastic pictures floating around of all the development in Porirua during the 50's, 60's and 70's. When I was visiting Kenepuru Hospital they had some poster size photos of the earthmoving which were very impressive. I tried seeing whether these were on the National Library image database online but they weren't. I did find these though http://timeframes.natlib.govt.nz/lo...&num_result=22&Object_Layout=viewimage_object

Some other good shots in the search under earthmoving too.