• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH TD30 (NZ) Atom Ant

RayC

Occupation
Roading Manager
I wonder if any kiwis can recall the IH TD30 dozers that were brought into NZ late 60's early 70's...for I remember an earthworks site that was being done on our neighbours place in Kerikeri....on site was a TD 25...TD15 and a TD30 ...which stood out because a mural of the TV series Atom Ant was drawn on the side of the machine....I've had all my photos destroyed by fire back in 1988...so I would be very appreciative of any such photos....I'm pretty sure the contractor was Nelson Bros...but not sure..Ray

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Td 30

Allen Mills from Rotorua and Waikato Earthmovers from Cambridge had several TD 30s each, not sure how many others came into NZ as well. I was an operator for G A Renner in Tauranga for many years from the late 60s on and they a ended up with an ex Mills TD 30 which was later traded in for a new TD15 c. The last I heard of the TD30 it was up Dargaville way, unfortunately I dont have photos of it, may have been the one you saw in Kerikeri.

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Andrews Earthmovers from Rotorua had a TD-30 on a job site that I worked on in Wellington - the Police training college site.
They had quite a bit of trouble with the cooling system as I recall.
When it was going seemed to be quite adequate.
You certainly knew when it was behind your TS-14 - way more grunt than the D8H's on site.
I have one photo of it which I will attempt to dig out for you.

pronto

John Pavan had a number of International machines working on his developments around the Northern Suburbs of Wellington. Although they haven't worked for more than 20 years most are still parked up in Johnsonville and Crofton Downs. Among them are some of these dozers, Payscrapers and a converted compactor. There is also a Birtley scoop. Will try and get some photos to post.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Td30

Allen Mills had one when they did the kopu Hikuai road here, and there was rumoured to be a 2nd one there too, possibly Mills or belonging to horowhenua eathworks on hire to Mills; but not sure about this second TD30. I know they had alot of trouble with it and was a inferior machine compared to the D9G of Green and McCahills on the same job.
There was a powershift TD30 out at a limeworks near limestone downs in the waikato in the mid 90s, but don,t know who owned it or what happened to it.
Be interesting to know how many came to NZ and if any are still alive.
Cheers Merv:drinkup

WabcoMan

Occupation
Found It

Andrews Earthmoving IH TD-30 at the Police training college site, Wellington, March 1975.
Its down with cooling system problems.
I snapped this from a passing TS-14.

Pronto - would love to see some of the John Pavan IH gear.
I remember stubling on them parked up in Crofton Downs.
The compactor conversion you mention was a really rare beast - a TD-18 with the track frames removed.
There was also a TD-24 and a very early TD-25 on site with the logo "Muir" on the side.

Attachments

• td30.jpg
    td30.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 4,221

pronto

I will go for a drive today and get some pictures. Hopefully they are not too overgrown, or succumbed to the high scrap prices last year....

Hjolli

Pos?

I´ve heard some people in this forum, e.g Deas Plant describe the TD30 as a real POS! I could be curious about what kind of problems it had, making such a bad reputation for it. Cooling problems are mentioned here, maybe some final drive bugs?

WabcoMan

Occupation
Hi Hjolli,

Biggest problem was the transmission.
IH were trying to take on Cat with a product that they just didn't do enough testing with before releasing to the public.
The end result ws a disaster with the transmission sometimes only lasting hours before packing up (on new machines).
They eventually got it sirted but the damage was done by then and customers stayed away.
Production life of the TD-30 was short.
It was meant to be a D9 size tractor.
Pity as the TD-25 was a pretty reliable tractor.
We had several in our fleet..

Pronto - I appreciate your trouble. Hope you get some good shots :drinkup

surfer-joe

The finals were also weak and couldn't stand the high horsepower. In 1971 I went into the old H.W. Moore dealership in Denver and they had a row of about twenty or more TD30's that were in various stages of repair. Many of these never moved again untill they were scrapped out.

td25c

I guess the td30 did not pan out.I wounder what history will say about the new td40.They have had time to figure out any problems with the machine.If its anything like a overgrown td25 I will take take one.

pronto

IH Dozers Parked up Crofton Downs - NZ

These are some shots of the three IH dozers parked up at Crofton Downs. They are owned by John Pavan, a developer that was active in the area during the '60's and '70's. I don't think they have moved since the early '80's.

At this location there are also 3 Payscrapers. 2 complete and 1 in parts. There was no sign of the compactor, made from the converted dozer.

He also has another site in Johnsonville with 3 more IH dozers. Will post those separately.

Attachments

• 080320091073.jpg
    080320091073.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 3,832
  • 080320091072.jpg
    080320091072.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 3,603
  • 080320091074.jpg
    080320091074.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 3,306
  • 080320091070.jpg
    080320091070.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 3,358

pronto

IH Dozers Parked Up Johnsonville

This is the other site with the IH equipment parked up. These machines do get out occaisionally to tidy up the subdivision, clearing gorse etc. It seems the smaller of the machines must have been operating recently as there was a lot of work done above the depot area.

The larger dozer with the winch is set-up to pull the Birtley Scoop, pictured.

Would be interesting to see if anyone had any pictures of this gear operating in their heyday.

Attachments

• 080320091075.jpg
    080320091075.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 3,060
  • 080320091076.jpg
    080320091076.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 3,099
  • 080320091077.jpg
    080320091077.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3,944
  • 080320091078.jpg
    080320091078.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,032

td25c

That is some great old iron,I have never seen a td30 in person.Look like some went to New Zealand.At least most of them are sheaded.I think I see an allis chalmers hd 21 setting on the right side of the shovle.I bet whith new batteries and a shot of either they would fire up.Thanks for the pictures.

WabcoMan

Occupation
Hi Pronto,

Thanks very much for taking the time & trouble to get those photos:notworthy
I got some shots one day back in 1975 (when I wasn't operating the TS-14) of Pavan's gear parked up at Crofton Downs.
Will try to dig them out then post. I think they are black & white prints.

25C - Yes, I'm pretty sure that is an Allis-Chalmers poking its nose out of the shed.
It could be either an HD-16 or HD-21 but I'm sure I got a shot of it too way back then.
Watch this space !!

malcolm

TD30 how many

Hi Guys IH records show between 1955 and 1981 there were 55 TD15b - 70 TD15c - 65 BTD20 - 48 TD20 - 64 TD24 - 83 TD25 - and 6 TD30 a couple of webb pics cheers malcolm

Attachments

• 3_4337_1_TD-30.jpg
    3_4337_1_TD-30.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 2,361
  • td_30.jpg
    td_30.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 2,337
  • td24 spec sheet.jpg
    td24 spec sheet.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 2,026

pronto

I was talking to an old Wellington identity who operated for Fouhy, Maher and Thompson, among others and asked him if he had any pictures of the earthworks around the region. He is going to dig some out so I will post these too. Will ask him about Pavan's projects. I think one of the last jobs he completed was in the near Elsdon for Housing Corporation.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Ih

Thanks for pics Pronto. Why does this guy have all this gear just parked up ? You,d think he,d sell it; or at least run it a couple of times a year; at least its under cover. I take it john Pavan didnt like caterpillars as is none there :D
Thanks for that info Malcom, I was suprised there was 65 BTD20,s and 64 TD24,s come here. Theres very few left. Ive never seen a BTD20 here and only 2 TD24s. The TD15s and 25s were very popular and you still see alot around.
Out of curiosity anyone know how many HD11s and D6Cs sold here compared to the 125 TD15s.
Thanks for the info and pics keep it coming.
Merv:drinkup

pronto

He was a prolific developer back in the day with at least two big subdivisons created. Both just seemed to stop late 70's and nothing has happened since. He had a land bank and roads constructed so has been slowly selling sections since.

The machines in Johnsonville are run up occaisionally and seem to get a hand paint when required - except for the Birtley scoop, which has really deteriorated outside. The scrapers and dozers in Crofton have been left and are now quite grown over with gorse etc. They are in slightly better conditions away from the salt breeze off the harbour.