• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 966 Drain Plug Crossthreaded

Bootheal

Pumpguy, the tubing feeding the pressure gauge is plumbed off the side of the engine block.(rear right). I did backblow through the tubing (it's very small diameter) and didn't notice anything in the crankcase.

kshansen suggested putting in a trustworthy gauge to verify pressure. Someone else also stated this would be prudent and I never did because as soon as oil pressure is indicated - engine noise quiets down - every time.

Bootheal

Pushed the wrong button somewhere! Had intended to attach a picture of the connection of the pickup tube to the engine block. It is directly below the front main bearing. You can see the crank pully / main bearing / connecting rod

Attachments

• IMG_20190123_105755043.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 9

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Pushed the wrong button somewhere! Had intended to attach a picture of the connection of the pickup tube to the engine block. It is directly below the front main bearing. You can see the crank pulley / main bearing / connecting rod

Well looking at that picture more or less confirms what I expected the pump is part of the front cover. If you are convinced the pressure problem is a bad pump(I'm not there so can't be sure), then to remove and inspect the pump you will need to first off remove the front pulley.

I am not familiar with the way the engine is mounted in tractor so have to wonder if there is an engine mount that is attached to the front cover. If so you will have to deal with that as well.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
kshansen suggested putting in a trustworthy gauge to verify pressure. Someone else also stated this would be prudent and I never did because as soon as oil pressure is indicated - engine noise quiets down - every time.

Maybe I missed that part before! What "engine noise" are you referring to and when did it start making this"noise"? And how much have you run this engine while it was making "noise"?

Just have to wonder if the slow to show oil pressure is because there is some major wear in bearings of the engine. Might pay to inspect the main and rod bearings while pan is off. Remember wear on the mains will be worse on the lower halves and on the upper halves for the rods.

Bootheal

Tractor is back together. Cross threaded oil drain plug is repaired and holding!

Found this comment on the skid steer section - someone removed a horizontal filter and no oil came out. It did clarify how some filters have a built-in check.

Want to thank you all for your time and patience. It is still slow to pickup but I am going with probably age related and not concern so much about it. I have two different people think it's probably ok.Screenshot_20190128-072413.png

Tenwheeler

Why didn't anyone recommend an expandable rubber "core plug".??
The kind w/ a T handle that gets tighter the more u turn the T.. like a boat "plug"..
They make'm in all sorts of sizes..
You have many many great posts but I do not like that idea.

Tenwheeler

Well looking at that picture more or less confirms what I expected the pump is part of the front cover. If you are convinced the pressure problem is a bad pump(I'm not there so can't be sure), then to remove and inspect the pump you will need to first off remove the front pulley.

I am not familiar with the way the engine is mounted in tractor so have to wonder if there is an engine mount that is attached to the front cover. If so you will have to deal with that as well.
Yes the pump is over the noise of the crank. It slides right off after removing the front of the tractor and the front cover.

Tenwheeler

I timed mine after overhaul and that other post. It is about the same as yours. It has always hammered lightly until it gets oil pressure. The correct filters have a steel tube inside the threaded hole. That helps retain some oil. Book spec for oil pressure is only about 35 PSI hot at operating speed.