• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I changed 3 times AVR I need the root cause of the problem

alaa

Hi,
I have changed 3 AVR on Perkins Generator 2306C-E14 (FGB061018U4412K) after explosion or burnt
each one 2 to 3 weeks ....I need the root cause of the problem ....
Thanks Eng's in advance...

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That looks like the FG wilson number, not the number of the Leroy Somer alternator...and we have nothing like that FG Wilson unit over here near as I can tell.

Have you tried discussing it with FG Wilson?

Otherwise try and find the Leroy Somer model on the alternator itself.

spark

My experience this happens when the exciter field becomes shorted. The only load of the AVR is the exciter field. I have had numerous times with failures and the only cure was an exciter field (exciter stator) replacement.

alaa

Thanks gents,
I attached to the name plate of engine and alternator ... about the resistance of exciter stator was 11 Ohm
now it's running at 50% of load with direct connection of 12VDC for more than 10 day's with out AVR.
Still with out any solution.

IMG-20170710-WA0000-1.jpg IMG-20170710-WA0001-1.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That exciter resistance sounds a little bit low. I can't find what the specification is supposed to be on this model, though. Also, did you check exciter stator for grounds?

spark

Look under leroy-somer.comdocumentation-pdf4455_en.pdf for that type it shows 12.5 ohms exciter field resistance

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Assuming the field is not grounded or intermittently shorted, I would next try an aftermarket voltage regulator and see if it behaves any differently.

alaa

Thanks gents
Exciter not grounded I'm not sure the value ... but let me guess that was to ground 14 K ohm or more....
Is there any relation with back power to the neutral cable...

alaa

I did not test the diodes ... but it will fail and show up 0 Volt from the beginning when I start the genset even with the direct 12 DCv,like it is now working by 12 DCv supply....

alaa

No ... bro ... Now the generator working with 12Vdc applied with out AVR and and working fine with load around 40% from rated Kw ...I wish it will not damage the alternator ....
I will not give up