• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydro Hose Crimp Tool

AmericanLandMgt

Ive got a few older machines that are going to need all new hoses pretty soon and I want to buy the tool that crimps the fittings on the hose but the ones Ive found are extremely expensive. Does anybody know where I can get one relatively cheap? I'm not going to use it all that often so I dont need a really high quality one. Do they make one that fits into a shop press?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't know myself, I've never really looked into getting a setup because being a used equipment dealer I see such a variety of fittings on the many machines that it would take a small fortune to buy all the needed different fittings. You may not require so many on your macines, but it's something to look into. And then you have the different size hoses as well as different pressure ratings for hoses. I would like to know what it would cost to get a basic setup of press, fittings, and hoses needed. :)

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
The local John Deere dealer around here will supply the fittings, hose and crimping machine for your shop. They come around monthly and refill the fitting bins, hose reels and charge you for the used hose and fittings. Couple guys I know use this service and they say it works out real well.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The usual deal the hose guy around here uses is they will sell the machines for a fair price but you get stuck having to buy a whole lot of hose and fittings.

I don't know of any crimp kits that are inexpensive. You could look for a used one at a company going out of business would be your best bet. The only other thing that would reduce the cost is the type of pump you get. One outfit I worked for had a hand pump for the truck I was on. It worked but not very fast and I would rather spend my time removing the old and installing the new instead of jacking on that pump.

Depending on what you are working on you might need dies for two wire and four wire hoses which is a lot of steel to carry around. I never considered doing six wire hoses because the cost of the fittings themselves made it cheaper to have them made at the local hose house. You also have to be careful about the brand you get also. The dies and presses for each manufacturer don't work on the hoses and fittings of another. If you buy Parker, you are stuck with Parker.

The other option that may be available is our local hose house has a rental unit available. You buy the stock and fittings you need and pay a daily rate on the press.

Good Luck!

AmericanLandMgt

I dont really make enough hoses to justify fully stocking a hose set up. For the two machines I only need two types of hose and two size fittings in different angles. The hand pump unit sounds like it would work. I usually maintain the equipment myself after hours so the extra time spent pumping wouldnt really be a big deal. The rental deal sounds pretty cool but unless I am doing an entire machine at one time I usually dont use that many hoses and I would like to keep it around the shop just in case I need it. What is the propper name for the crimp tool? i searched online for hydraulic hose crimp tool and didnt get anything very promising.

mitch504

I got a crimper and three five gallon buckets of fittings from a friend who was retiring in exchange for $500 he owed me. My machine looks like something the cat (or Cat) dragged in, but it will do 2 and 4-wire hoses. It is a hand pumped machine that has been modified to clamp in a vice. I like it because it works in the shop or the field. I have used it to replace every hose on my motorgrader and to make many hoses for my other trucks and machines, and those of friends and relatives.
I found Cavalier Hose and Fittings http://www.cavalierhoseandfittings.com/index.html
through an ad in a magazine and have been doing business with them for about 3 or 4 years and they are great. They have a salesman in a pickup stocked with common hose and fittings who comes around every 6 weeks or so. If I need something quick I just call their Greensboro NC store and they have it to me the next morning. Their website sucks but the company is great.
They sell used and new crimpers and, according to this page, (which doesn't seem to be linked to their homepage), they have them from $250 to $5000.
http://www.cavalierhoseandfittings.com/hosecrimpers.htm
Most of the hose and fittings they sell are made by this company from Charlotte NC; Couplamatic Systems Inc. They seem to only sell in case lots, and maybe only to distributors.
http://www.couplamatic.com/
They make hose and fittings that work in several brands of crimpers. Their hose is all I've ever used in my machine, (which is a Weatherhead) and I've used a lot of their fittiings, with no problems.

The best thing about all this is that I can make my own hose for 20-40% of the cheapest place I can buy it.

Randy88

Don't know if it would help or not but a relative of mine for years used his shop press to crimp hoses, he bought the dies for a regular hose machine and just put it in his shop press instead of buying the fancy hydraulic crimp tool to press them with, I can't say it didn't work because he got by for years until he could afford the whole deal, but mainly on 3/4 hose and smaller. He upgraded to a larger press, something like 200 ton and the amount of fittings he needed to stock for all the different size hose and types of ends and be basically got tired of having all the inventory on hand and gave it up but he must have done several thousand ends like that and just used his chop saw to cut the hose. I've been looking for some type of setup myself but I need larger hose up to 1 1/2 inch hose and six wire I think it is and just the machine is beyond my price range and my press isn't big enough to do it, I've asked a ton of questions and all I've gotten for answers is that theres a lot of obsolete machines that you can't get fittings to press in those machines anymore, and a lot of machines don't do large hose or big fittings.

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
Lots of auto parts stores going out of business have either gates or parker, my buddy got a big gates for 500 and 3 cabinets FULL of fittings.

Randy88

Does anybody actually know the difference between all the brands of fittings and machines or is it like ford, gm, and chrysler thing, they might be in business in a few years, might not and buy from whom you like today kinda thing. All the salesmen tell you is theirs is the best and thats it, I've never heard any other comparison other than don't buy this brand because fittings are hard to get and it won't crimp others fittings and its useless in a few years An overview would be nice but none will really say anything but buy theirs.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
The company I used to work for before I went on my own we had a Gates portable crimper with an air over hydraulic pump. It would make up to 1 1/4" hose assemblies. All our machines had JIC fiitings so we just had an asortment of #4-#12 fittings and hoses worked great.

ke6gwf

I know there are a lot of cons to them, but for what you are describing I would consider getting some of the Field-Replaceable fittings. They have 2 or 3 pieces that fit into and on to the hose and then the ferrule screws down onto the barrel.
If you have a few feet of each size hose, a handfull of ends in the most common types and an assortment of adapters going from JIC to NPT/O-ring face seal/etc, plus 90 and 45 degree.
Another plus with the F-R ends is that with some types they can be re-used, so you can make a hose to get a machine through the day or back to the shop, get a crimped hose built, and then return the parts to stock.

As far as brands go, I was happy with the Weatherhead machine and fittings line that I had at my last gig.
It has the smooth crimped collars instead of the convoluted style some have. Much easier to feed through tight areas and less problems with catching on moving systems. If you crimp it right, there is no flare on the back side of the ferrule at all.

Napa Auto Parts sells the Weatherhead line, and a lot of stores stock it, and the warehouses are usually only 1/2 a day to a day away.

As somebody else mentioned, you have to pick a brand and then stick with it. The hose, fittings and crimper all have to be the same brand and the correct match according to the manufacturers spec sheet. Make sure you get the chart with whatever brand you go with, and follow it exactly! If you put a 2-wire end on a 4-wire hose, the crimp is not going to be correct and it either will be too loose or damage the hose, same with using the wrong die or the wrong spacer ring/setting on the crimper. If you read the "book" (seriously, each brand has a book with all the hose and fittings and application info. I know you can get Weatherhead free from Napa if you are buying the parts from them) it is pretty easy to figure out what you are doing.
I will say that every fitting I have ever seen blow off was either a mis-match or improperly crimped. (never lost one of mine, yet... :)

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
I have two different units that I use. I have one Kerry Krimp like in the ebay link. 4 6 8 10 and 12 dies. I also have a Weatherhead crimper that is in my shop that has 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 and 20 dies. I mainly use the Parker but like both it is an service that I provide that makes life for my customers easier and me more valuable. Just remember though just because you buy all the equipment, find a place on the truck to store it all, just spent 1K or more at the fitting store last week restocking fittings you will still wind up not having the ones you need. LOL I find myself in this position on occasion. JJ