• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hydraulic oil temp warning light

Jarw

Hoping someone can help, i have a gehl 4835 and since i got it the left lowermost light has been on, manual says shut off everything when it comes on but previous owner said its always been on, the hydraulics work. From what im thinking i have no way of knowing if warning is on for real so its a good thing to fix this soon. Can anyone recommend steps to take such as parts or diagn? Ita my first ss. Would like it to come on only when needed. Thanks

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Hoping someone can help, i have a gehl 4835 and since i got it the left lowermost light has been on, manual says shut off everything when it comes on but previous owner said its always been on, the hydraulics work. From what im thinking i have no way of knowing if warning is on for real so its a good thing to fix this soon. Can anyone recommend steps to take such as parts or diagn? Ita my first ss. Would like it to come on only when needed. Thanks
On most Cat machines that means an open circuit. Get a wiring diagram that explains sensor/switch status readings for your machine. Just fixed the same issue on a D-5H Cat... one loose screw on the temp sensor itself.

Last edited:

DIYDAVE

If you're gonna run it, use a hand held IR thermometer, to check the actual temperatures, of the components. IIRR, nothing over 250ºF or you're burning oil...

Jarw

Thanks ill try, its hard to find diagrams for these things. Which components do i check temp of exactly? The oil fill tube?

DIYDAVE

Thanks ill try, its hard to find diagrams for these things. Which components do i check temp of exactly? The oil fill tube?
Just point it at the tank, pump, wheel motors, steel sections of lines, etc...

Jarw

Thank you, im guessing that alarm light is called hydr temp and wire is #40 light green going to "hydraulic temp switch" so this must be some kind of sensor in contact with hydraulic oil, when i find it somewhere check wires and possibly replace the switch? Just guessing

Old JD

Find the "hydraulic temp switch" disconnect #40 light green wire. See if the light goes out, if it doesn't #40 wire may have rubbed through and is grounding somewhere.

Jarw

Well, found a sensor on engine that had an orange wire which was cut, fixed that but had no effect, i think according to the diagram thats engine oil sensor. Been waiting to hear from a parts guy about location of switch so far nothing yet, i read somewhere that on some machines all sensors are by hydraulic filter of course not on my gehl, and theres nothing with green wire attached elsewhere in engine compartment unless someone switched wire colors. Is there a specific place the sensor would be or would it look a certain way?

Old JD

found this, looks like a temp switch (#29) on the end of a manifold, part no 132049,,,hope this helps,,all I got

Attachments

• temp.pdf
    76.5 KB · Views: 54

Jarw

Thanks so much found it light goes off when i unplug green wire so im hoping i can get a new sensor?

Jarw

Does anyone know if the switch removal requires a hydraulic evac or anything specific? Got switch on the way