• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic oil geyser

BDA

Hello everyone, new guy here with "new" crane.

Galion 150A
Detroit

Lifts and runs fine (all day) - but - when I put it in gear and drive it, I get about 50 feet before hyd oil starts blowing out of the hyd tank vent.

Changed filters and oil - still blows out.

Any Ideas?

Knepptune

Either the oil is boiling out or you have another circuit pumping oil into the hud tank. Check your transmission oil level.

Hello everyone, new guy here with "new" crane.

Galion 150A
Detroit

Lifts and runs fine (all day) - but - when I put it in gear and drive it, I get about 50 feet before hyd oil starts blowing out of the hyd tank vent.

Changed filters and oil - still blows out.

Any Ideas?
I have a Dresser 150FA it too blows oil out of the hyd tank vent. I don't know which function causes it I only see the results after running it. Did you find the cause of the problem?

BobCatBob

When you replaced the two internal hydraulic tank filters, did you go with stock filters (I.e. from Contractors Crane in Texas) or another brand? If the filter element is to tight/low flow.....you’ll blow fluid through the vent cap. Those filters are a PITA to replace.....but I’d look there first.

Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I purchased them from Contractors Crane in Texas. After the first event I used the crane for several days with no problem then today I ran it for about an hour and it blew oil out the breather again. I don't know what function causes it today I used the crowd, hoist. and boom when I shut it down and crawled out I saw the evidence where the oil blew out of the breather.

BobCatBob

The tank has a dip stick.....I think there is about 6-8 inches of room from the top when full (all cylinders pulled in). Good there?

Actually the oil level is a little low it was about half way between the add and danger mark with all cylinders pulled in with the exception of the outriggers. it is now down to the danger mark with the cylinders pulled in with the exception of the outriggers

BobCatBob

If it reads right when all cylinders in, I’ll take a look at the hydraulic circuit to see what could be causing an overflow issue (they’re up in WI, I’ll check this weekend).

Bob

BobCatBob

Any problems during normal operation? Slow moving/chatter/etc? There is a relief valve on the main manifold (underneath the pedestal, passenger side).....should have a safety/PSI tag on it. Spitballing, but you might be having a bypass event and blowing fluid back into the hydraulic tank.

Bob

The only chater and it is intermittent is the external crowd cylinder when you retract it. I do have a leak on the main boom cylinder and I do know it is low on hydraulic oil at this time. I was operating the crane at a relatively low engine RPM when the oil blew out of the hydraulic tank breather this time. I was lubricating the cable by myself and had extended the boom and lowered the block I would retreive several feet of cable and crawl on top with the cable lube and I was running the engine fairly slow for a detroit. As I have said I don't see it when it is happening only the results afterwards. I would think maybe low oil and running it full out may cause it by pulling air into the hydraulic mybe causing the pump to cavitate or maybe the boom cylinder leak may have some effect on it. Thank you all for the support.

BobCatBob

I had the external boom crowd rebuilt for that reason (after it stopped working).....lots of chatter.

I’ll take a look this weekend at the manuals.