• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hydraulic license

newbie1276

Occupation
auto mechanic,foreman
you need to contact the mass.dept.of public safety then they will send you a packet with app. you send them a passport pic copy of dot health card check off what class license you want and a check for i think 75 dollars
then they will send you a location where a scheduled exam i being offered
usually takes about 4 to 6 wks if i remember correctly

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
A licenses to run anything hydraulic? :OMG That is outrageous. I am glad that down here in the south we don't have to worry about that - yet.

lamarbur

Charter Member
Occupation
part time excavator/backhoe operator
I've had my hydraulic license 25 yrs or more. I have 1C, 2A, and 4A.. 4A is unrestricted and the hardest to obtain, 99% get the 2A which is crawler or rubber tired excavators, loaders or backhoes.It probably goes back to some state senator or representative that went home one day and there was no gas to cook with, because someone ripped a line by accident in front of the guys house., A light bulb lit up, hey, more revenue for the state if we ahve everyone get a hydraulic license,:)

thejdman04

Wow I have never heard of such a licnese, glad the morons in the IL leg, havent thought of this one yet, how long before they do who knows.:pointhead

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
One question about the hydraulic license - what do rental stores do when a homeowner wants to rent a bobcat? Do they have to have a license?

ARPlante

Occupation
Owner, secretary, estimator, mechanic, janitor
The rental stores give a "temporary" license good for a few days and a little training on the basics of the equipment.

Lashlander

Is it just a written test? What type of questions are on it? What good has it done if any? I look for OSHA to make it mandatory for crane operators to get certified within a year or two. Personally I don't see that as a bad thing.

newbie1276

Occupation
auto mechanic,foreman
dissafe colors hand signals state laws general operating questions i think my test had 75 questions not hard if you have knowledge just a way to for the state to get their cut of the action

John H

Occupation
Arborist, Equipment operator
A lot of the test was hand singals. The crane part was the hardest of the whole test. I have a 1B 2A 4B

jimmyjack

need one in rhode island, i think its more of a northeast / mid atlantic state thing. got mine in 2000, it says payloader/backhoe which means its everything but a crane and ithink fork lift. its the first thing they ask for if you hit a service when digging in the street or i've seen osha come on a job and ask who runs what machine and were's your operators license, you'll get a fine and the job will get shut down if no one has one ( seen it happen). as for questions i found i pretty easy it was common sense for the most part. all the questions are true/false or mutiple choice. i think it was like 40 or50 questions example ( that color does digsafe use for water BLUE than four questions down it says digsafe uses blue to mark what service WATER so they are pretty easy :beatsme ) well that was my experince getting my license and you need the passport pic and something written on company letter head saying you have used a machine before.

lamarbur

Charter Member
Occupation
part time excavator/backhoe operator
I got mine in the middle or late 70's era. At that time, it was 10 written, 10 verbal questions per section, and, they watched you run a machine. They use to set it up at local highway dpt's or large construction companies, and on Friday tests, Saturday watch you run a machine for whatever it was you pursued. I'm sure this has changed 15 different times since then.

thejdman04

something written on company letter head saying you have used a machine before.
How do you show them a letter stating you have used the machine, if you arent suppsed to use one w/o a license? J/c if there is something like you must have 10-15 hours run time on the machine supervised before you go take your test. Sounds to me like just a revenue generator. If you dont mind me asking, about how much is the test? How ong is it good for:confused:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
How do you show them a letter stating you have used the machine, if you arent suppsed to use one w/o a license? J/c if there is something like you must have 10-15 hours run time on the machine supervised before you go take your test. Sounds to me like just a revenue generator. If you dont mind me asking, about how much is the test? How ong is it good for:confused:

This reminds me of when I went to permit my first commerical building. I needed a commercial G/C license to get a permit. Even though this was my personal office I was building I could not get a permit. Well the G/C license board wouldn't give me the license because I have not built any commercial buildings. Can't get a license without experience and can't get experience without a license.:beatsme Gotta love the gov't.

jimmyjack

i dont know thats just what they ask for a passport photo , the letter and the money:beatsme . i dont remember how much it was something like 50 bucks maybe, it was less than 100 though. its good for one year you renew it on the month of your birthday and its 35 dollars to renew

http://www.dlt.ri.gov/profregs/HoistMain.htm

hope that helps