• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hunting Land Dozer

kl9

Hi everyone,

I’m new here and new to dozers in general. I’m looking at purchasing a dozer for work to be done on my hunting land, mainly putting in trails, clearing brush/trees, and pond type work. I know relatively little about dozers and need some guidance. I have come across two machines I like so far. One is a Deere 550c and one is a Cat d4c xl and they both seem comparable. Other than the amount of hours, whether or not any major rehaul work has been done, and the condition of the undercarriage, what all should I be looking for in a dozer?

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two models? If there is another model out there that could serve my purpose well please let me know.

I’m looking to stay under $25k, preferable in the $15k-$20k price range.

Thanks in advance.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Knocking down trees can be very dangerous,branches can break , other trees can be pulled down by the one you are knocking down and fall on top of you.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
How big are the trees? Do you plan on keeping or selling? A skid steer might be better if you plan on keeping it.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Also how much land are you talking about?

td25c

Those would both be good dozers for general property maintenance . I did spot this JD 450B high lift / combo unit for sale up in WI . Price aint bad considering it's got new pads ,rails & sprockets . https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/12193995/deere-450b

Those machines were pretty versatile with the loader & back hoe for about any project .

Then again if you don't have any equipment yet nothing wrong with a 4X4 loader tractor with 3 point hitch & PTO for implements .
These Ford 545's will push like a dozer plus have the speed and agility on rubber tires . Possibilities are endless given the attachments that can be easily mounted on the tractor for all around value & use . https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/18081839/ford-545d

If the clearing / dirt work gets to be more than you want to handle hire some Low Life contractor in the area to knock out the rough stuff .;):D

Delmer

what all should I be looking for in a dozer?.

A mechanic that likes to work on them would be the first thing to find. A dozer's per hour repair expenses go up dramatically as it gets older and cheaper. If you don't want to learn how to keep a machine running, then plan to spend as much to keep it running as you spent to buy it. A rubber tire machine can be cheaper to operate. A mini excavator and an old farm tractor might be another good way to go.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am a old HE mechanic where I bought a antique to 'save money', may have been as well off to have hired it done most days as the old machine keeps me as busy working ON it as working it.

moriboy

Occupation
Machine shop owner
Be careful if you buy the 550C. Those are great machines but if they develop transmission problems you are looking at a real headache.

sealark37

Occupation
Retired pilot, old equipment mechanic
Check to see which machine has the closer OEM dealer. Ask the present owner if a Parts and Service manual is included in the sale. Buy the closer dealer, bonus if it includes the books. Regards, Clark

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I like both. Both are very dependable with proper care. The JD is very user friendly. The Cat will have parts available long after the JD. I would take a mechanic to look them both over. Condition would carry way more weight than hours.

9599svt

I don't know were in Wisconsin your property is but if your talking about pond work I would imagine its like most of northern Wisconsin with some soft areas. I would suggest a dozer with an LGP undercarriage. The xl would be better than a standard undercarriage. A backhoe is nice for digging but anything with tires can make some deep ruts than take a lot of time to smooth back out. I am new to the heavy equipment world because the price of a decent piece of iron is more than a lot of people can afford, and the possible cost of repairs if you buy the wrong cheaper machine can break a person financially. I was lucky after a long time looking to find a d5c lgp non hystast with less than a thousand hours on it for a decent price. I have learnt that a dozer can only do just about everything your talking about but can't do it all efficeinatly. I have seen JD dozers with a backhoe on the back and would think if you can only afford one machine it would be the best of both worlds for you. If you have the money get the dozer and an excavator and you will be able to do everything you can dream of on your property.

mike_belben

I say buy the dozer and make it pay. Life is full of expenses, so what. You can be captain cautious and still die from cancer or lightning. Push some trees, dig your pond.

My $10k komatsu d31p-18 with wide pads and 6 way blade hasnt cost me anything but diesel and it finishes nicely, will cross right over a swamp and sink less than a man on foot. New sprockets, rails and finals done just before i bought it.

I gave $7500 for my '79 case 450 crawler loader backhoe with new bottom that lived indoors. Also havent had to do anything to it.

Thankfully with todays "omg no warranty runaway!" mentalities.. There are good cheap machines out there. Have only added diesel and 15w40 to my $3500 delivered nassco fork.

Id look for a case 450b personally. 6 way for finishing or a larger outside arm case for pushing. A 20" dbh oak has a 4' diameter root ball. Youll be making a mess no matter what tool. If you are on wet clay forget about rubber tires.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had a bud with a CTL brag he could outwork my old Allis, based on age and lack of electronic controls. He made and lost a bet as moving materials in volume faster, he could move material faster but the old Fat Allis would power out three to four times more much material with each bite. In the end my old machine even used less fuel than his had.