• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to save on company's health insurance cost

kthompson

To begin with I am not trying to solicit business, I am a local agent with 30 years in this industry and only trying to share some ideas that can help you lower your health insurance cost. Some of you are doing all these things while others may benefit. I am only licensed in the State Of South Carolina so will be working off of SC law and there are differences in laws between each state so verify in your state.

I work with small business in their employee benefits and very much realize it is a big bit. In the last few years have seen more and more companies trying to figure out what to do with the rising cost. Here are some possible things that MIGHT work for you.

First if your company has more than 50 full time employees or full time equivalent employees (they take the part time and figure the total hours they work to come up with how many full times that equals) you have a FEDEERAL obligation to offer your employees AFFORDABLE qualified health insurance.
Not picking on any company here just using names to help explain but if your company offers say coverage form AFLAC or Colonial it is does not met the standard of QUALIFIED health plan.
Look at your employees and if you have any who are on Medicare it may be best for THEM to leave the group plan and go fully to Medicare with Supplement Coverage, it may not be in their best interest but most often it is.
Look at employees who have spouses who work for a company that provide very low price coverage for their spouse (your employee). Might need to set up some form to reimburse those people for the cost on the other plan.
If the info on the employees correct as to date of birth, use of tobacco, zip code where they live?
Depending on the health of your employees a LIMITED SELF INSURED plan might a great option.
Offer "dual Plans" which it two maybe three plans to your employees with the company contributing the lower price plan and allowing them to buy up to better coverage if it is worth it to them.
If you want to offer additional coverage look at doing so with "GROUP" plans rather than the plans that really are individual plans just being billed to the company to payroll deduct the premium. They are often most costly and offer the company little benefit. You can offer group plans on many products such as disability or cancer where the employee pays the full price. Many do not realize they are offer a name they know very well due to ads but is one of the most expensive options there is.
Consider pretax plan for the premium the employee pays.
NEVER pay 100% of the employee's cost. They need some skin in this so they understand when price goes up and what you are up against. To add to this NEVER sign contract saying you are paying 100% even if you are. You do and the insurance company requires ALL employees to be insured even if they have better coverage free elsewhere.

If you have less than 50 employees your state may have a requirement you offer coverage but the Federal Law does not.

DO NOT PAY ANY PART OF AN EMPLOYEES COST FOR A PLAN THAT IS GETTING A TAX SUBSIDY. Can cause you a problem with the Feds.

There are some other things to consider once in a big while but think have the most common things covered here. One thing I will add here is find an agent who will sit down with your or your HR person and listen to your needs and offer suggestions. Your lower paid employees do not care the insurance will pay an unlimited amount on their medical bills when they can not afford to go see doc and by the medicine. I like the Health Savings Account plans but would tell you if you go that way DO FUND THEIR ACCOUNT at least $500 per year to give them the money so they can afford to se doc and get medication need to be back at work. It will save your business compared to the employee who can not afford those needs so comes to work sick and is at best running say 50% level or worst and is dangerous plus sharing their sickness with the others.

Again this is general and your business is not, you need an agent who can help plan for your business in its needs and size.

kthompson

I really hoped to spur a conversation here on how to help small businesses save on cost of their employee insurance. I hope no one thinks this is any marketing effort. Insurance cost is about a major cost in today's business world. Today was talking with sales manager for a equipment company and he brought this up to me telling his company was doing some of these things.

Kenneth

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I had no idea how much money my company paid for employee health insurance, but it was ALWAYS a sore subject at company meetings..
Mainly because it was used as an excuse as to why the profit sharing was so low or why we couldn't get new service trucks, or raises..
UNTIL.. I had to start paying for it, out of my own pocket.!!! 800.00 a month
There are several people that were booted off, asked nicely, to get on Medicare.. and several others that have elected to get on a spouses insurance because of the smoking regulation which the employee HAS TO PAY.. and those people WERE NOT compensated 1 cent by our employer.
Its still a sore subject.. I guess it could be worse tho.??
The co. I work for has about 30 employees..

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
The cost of the health insurance is certainly a great topic and the suggestions are indeed appreciated.

JDOFMEMI

kthompson

Thanks for sharing this.
My company is doing most of what you suggest, and have a great company we are working with that supports us, and keeps us informed on all of the legal requirements. I would reccomend to any one that you follow the great advice put forth here, especially by using an agent that knows the rules locally to your business, and that will take the time to understand your business.