1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to pressure wash?

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by rick nelson, Aug 12, 2017.

1. rick nelson

rick nelson New Member

I am new to the group and new to owning my first road grader!!! Never been in one till I bought this little jewel. It's a Galion t-500 Grade O Matic. I would like to pressure wash it to clean it up enough for my wife and I to go on a moonlight drive some evening. I am afraid of causing damage by pressure washing areas that I shouldn't. Any tips on do's and dont's when it comes to pressure washing motors' hydraulics, transmissions and Etc.
    Thanks in advance
    Rick

2. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Unless you have a monster commercial duty machine that's 3,000 psi or more and a tip that has an angle like a laser beam there's not much you can hurt. I'd avoid any electrical connections, avoid a direct shot to the alternator, stuff like that. Avoid the exhaust or air inlet as well. Make sure hydraulic reservoir has a good cap on it, avoid the vent if so equipped. Most of what you seek to clean shouldn't take a close application of pressure anyway. If it has hot water that will help and should require less direct pressure. For the most part it's common sense. Which doesn't seem to be so common lol. Also, a Hudson can with simple green or something like that you can pre-treat heavy areas helps too.

If the pressure causes a hose to leak it wasn't long for this world anyway.

3. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Field Service Tech
    Yeah there isn't much you can hurt with a pressure washer on equipment. As long as you avoid everything Junkyard mentioned you should be fine.

4. seville009

seville009 Member

I always unhook the battery first.

5. Tenwheeler

Tenwheeler Active Member

No close contact in seal areas. Crankshaft, hydraulic cylinders,tires,etc. When I had something like that delivered to the house my wife asked "ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?". I shared that with a friend which asked? Did you not say you were hoping for a little tractor sex? No that was definitely out of the question. Good luck with your machine, date and always paint down wind from the house.

6. Ct Farmer

Ct Farmer Active Member

X2 on unhooking the battery, especially if you are doing more than surface cleaning. Metal wand across a positive ground can get interesting. Ask me how I know....

Actually disconnect the battery don't just flip the cutoff switch.

Otherwise, avoid electronics and have at it. We usually use hot water @ 190, butyl based detergent and about 1800 psi. You can strip paint so be cautious till you learn.

7. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Avoiding electronics isn't hard on a T-500...;)

8. wornout wrench

wornout wrench Senior Member

Heavy Duty Mechanic
    Campbell River, BC, The Left Coast of Canada
    Careful around the radiator and rad hoses, you can flatten the fins on the rad and if you get close enough to the hoses you can cut them, same on any air intake hoses.

9. Numbfingers

Numbfingers Active Member

mechanic
    Don't know if you have a backup alarm or not but one accidental blast from the wand will take it out in my experience.