• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to move this stubborn material.

tnc110

8 years ago there was a big road job that produced a lot of shot rock/fill. Some of it was hauled to a piece of property that I am looking at. Basically they formed 2 ridges and left a large ravine in between. I want to make one large flat area by pushing the ridges into the ravine. Problem is that the material is full of large boulders...some as big as 5' and larger. The ravine is approx 100' wide and 30-40' deep by 140' long. The ridges are both about 100' wide.

I own a 160 excavator and am looking to buy a 953 cat loader for other reasons than this job. Would I be pissing in the wind trying to use these machines to do this job? I initially thought about renting a d8r for the job...but the boulders concern me. Will the d8 be able to dislodge the boulders efficiently?

Thoughts?

How many hours would you figure with the each method?

sheepfoot

Think it would go faster with a 330 size hoe and a good thumb, the 8 would not have a problem pushing but breaking it out to push would be a real pain, even if you worked it from a corner. What make and size is your 160?.

tnc110

Think it would go faster with a 330 size hoe and a good thumb, the 8 would not have a problem pushing but breaking it out to push would be a real pain, even if you worked it from a corner. What make and size is your 160?.

That's what I'm worried about. If it was 90% dirt and 10% rock then I wouldnt worry, but looking at a ditch that was dug I'm thinking more like 50/50.

The 160 is a volvo with a 36" 1.1yd bucket (210 size bucket)

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . tnc110. That's a difficult question without pictures. How high are the ridges?

I don't know about the excavator and loader but absolutely no problem for any sort of D8 . . . and it's only a small site . . . you are talking feet not yards?

The dozer will have to bust up the ridges and place the large stone to the bottom and keep smaller stuff aside to top off with. A hundred feet is only ten or twelve blades wide, a good operator on an 8R could probably knock it off in a day.

Cheers.

tnc110

fill.jpg
the shaded area it the area to be graded. The green line runs from the farthest toe of each ridge. The ravine to be filled is the wooded area where the blue "2.35 arces" is. The ridges create a horse shoe around the ravine.

grandpa

Rent the D8R and get the job done. In the end it will be the cheapest if you figure your time as valuable. Excavator's are for digging, dozers are for leveling. From your picture the 8 would be my choice,.:my2c

Oxbow

I concur with Grandpa and add one note of caution. Be careful cornering into tall piles of shot rock as large rocks can roll down on top of the tracks and c frame and cause considerable damage. This is not to dissuade you, just to help prevent large repair bill.

Also, be sure that you are not filling any wetlands, as that would require permitting.

td25c

I would think a large dozer would work fine for moving the rock. Not sure how big the trees are in the ravine to be filled in but I would want them removed or at least laid down before filling on top of them. That might be a job for the 160 excavator & 953 highlift . Then rent or hire someone with a large dozer to work the fill.Good luck with the project tnc110.