1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How Big is a 777

Discussion in 'Motor Graders' started by Outasite, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Outasite

Outasite Well-Known Member

As graders go,how big is a 777 wabco 29000lbs.I have one,that I'm working on restoring to good working condition.It has been upgraded to 300hp,and has oversize rubber,also is a newer one,with tork converter.what size newer machines are in that size group?

2. zhkent

zhkent Senior Member

Earthmoving
    A 16M is 300 to 337 hp and would weigh twice as much.
    Your probably going to spin the wheels real easy.

3. spitzair

spitzair Senior Member

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
    Be VERY careful with that extra power! I have a 666 that the previous owner sheared the splines right off the axle at one time. They are impossible to find these days and they just welded them up and cut new splines in. So far it's holding up well but I am very careful about spinning tires and as an added precaution I will not put tire chains on it unless it's absolutely necessary... One of these days I hope to restore mine as well, but that's still a long ways off in the future. What engine does yours have, the Cummins or Detroit?

4. Outasite

Thanks for the reply,I've been looking for some spare axles.Mine is a Detroit,it was blown when I bought it,I replaced it with a 671 turbo out of a OTR truck.

5. spitzair

spitzair Senior Member

Nice! Does it have a jake in it too? That'd be cool when you're roading it... You can try John Parks at www.tractorparts.com, he may have an axle kicking around, he's very knowledgeable and has given me great advice about my machine!

6. Outasite

There is an Adams with a Detroit living about ten miles from me that will never run again.Im going to get a look see if there the same!

7. spitzair

spitzair Senior Member

Even if it's a 666 most parts interchange from what I understand....

8. overworked

overworked Senior Member

I had a Adams with a cummins in it, don't know what year it was, chain drive coupling on injection pump with locked up motor, drug it around with the A35C till it broke loose and then we graded roadway a couple times. It was not hydraulic and it would bite REAL hard when using about every function, no brakes, I finally sent it for scrap before I ended up with wrist problems.

9. bccat

bccat Well-Known Member

The Main reason the axles break are that Wabco used the same axles on all their graders. Another thing to check for is water in the chain cases, if the gaskets are poor on the inspection covers water, salt etc can get in inside & damage the axle brgs as was the case in Spitzairs triple 6, 1 other thing that break these axles is shockloading, happens when snow plowing at High speed hitting a manhole cover with chains on all 4 tires, hard on the guts too !

10. Outasite

Mention "knuckle buster" to an old grader man and he will say "dam wabcos" I have converted most functions on mine to hydraulic motors.