• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hourly costs?

csquared

Hey, I'm lookign for what you guys breakdown for your hourly cost.
for example, how much a hour you charge
and how you break that down into maintence, insurance, fuel, profit, operator etc.
Thanks

greywynd

Well, you need to know your costs...which are fixed, and which aren't.....

As an example, insurance is fixed, so much per year. Divide that into your expected number of working days/hours per year, and that will give you a rough cost per hour of machine time.

Fuel, well, you should have an idea of how much fuel it uses, whether by day or whatever, so you can figure it out by the hour from that.

As to what I charge....that should be determined by your costs, plus a markup....then compare that to others in your area to make sure you're not at one extreme or the other.....

Since I only have the one mini ex right now, I also compare to the price to rent a similar machine...I try to have my 3 hour minimum about the same or a little less than a rental... most will realize that I can do more in 3-4 hours than a complete novice on a rental can in a day, and in tight spots there's no comparison to experience.

Reality is, you need to know your costs, to determine what you need to charge.....and hopefully it is less than what you would like to, and can charge.....that difference is the extra profit to be made.

kamerad47

You have to remember rental quotes don't include insurance, delivery or fuel!

coopers

Kamerad47,

I'm sorry, I totally misread that. Now that I am actually awake I see it correctly. WOW, I was out of it. You are correct, those are things you have to ask how much they cost on top of the rental fee.