• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hosed on a 7140......bad

digfaster

Occupation
power plant operator / farmer
Recently i bought a case ih 7140 mfwd tractor on ebay. I talked to the seller 4 or 5 times before i bought it and all the guy talked about was how nice the tractor was and how the motor and transmision were freshly rebuilt. Well the guy convinced me it was a good buy so i went ahead and bought it for what i thought was a good price. It was around 500 miles south of me so i paid to have it hauled up. When it got here i thought it looked a little rough but he did put in the auction it needed paint. Went ahead and hooked it up to the field cultivator, put it in the field and started pulling when i noticed a few things, 1 being under a hard pull the transmision slipped and 2 the front wheel assist didnt work. I called the seller and reminded him i had it in tthe ebay listing all this worked fine and it was a mexhanically sound machine. The guy sidnt believe me so i had the dealer come out and run some tests ans sure enough the tranny was bad and the front right planetary was junk. The guy told me to have the work done and he would help me out on it. Well $9000 later for the tranny alone and the guy will not return any of my calls.i got a quote for $26000 from the dealer( found out it also has a cracked head) to fix every thing that it would take to make it a workable tractor. What should i do? Should i sue?

td25c

I hate to hear about the bad deal on the 7140 digfaster but thats the chance you take on buying something sight unseen 500 miles from home.I buy most of my equipment within 50 miles from home and allot of times know the people I'm dealing with or know someone that knows them,it's a small world.Jump in the truck & go run the equipment or let the seller run it as I watch .Then make a decision from what I see .I am a firm believer in buying local ,dont matter if it's a bulldozer or a sack of groceries.I did spot this Case /IH 7140 on www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6760905& Nice looking tractor. What should you do? Do what repairs you can on the 7140 & let your local Case / IH dealer do what you cant and call it one of lifes lessons.Good luck on the 7140 project.

Last edited:

quackattak

whats all on your list for 26k, we have 6 of those magnums. repairs seem a little steep if the trans has already been done.

Dualie

Sellers are liars and buyers are story tellers. Sad to say but you bought something sight unseen from 500 miles away for a hefty chunk of change and got burned.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
you should be protectd by Ebay's buyer protection policy if things are not as was described, (at least that is the way I understand how that works) Maybe someone here will set me straight, but I think the way that works is that anything that is purchased for over a certain amount automaticly qualifies for that protection. please don't qoute me on that, but it is something that is worth looking into. Also if you bought something with a written description from Ebay, and it is clearly not as it was listed then you will have grounds for protection under the court system as well.

Hendrik

Tricky one, do you have anything in writing (for example on the ebay listing) that says that the tranny and motor where recently professionally overhauled? Any receipts for work done?
As others have said, first course of action is to see what ebay can do, if they are a no go it is time to visit a lawyer to see what the go is.