• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Holley 4 Barrel Floats Sinking?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Hello,

I recently got a 1966ish International Loadstar with a 392 engine. It has a Holley 4 barrel carb like you see on race cars and Fords. It was not letting fuel into the front bowl because the float adjustment was all the way down. We pulled the carb and installed a rebuild kit. Static set the floats and when we put it back on fuel was overflowing from both bowls into the carb throat and all over the place. I wound up adjusting the front all the way in, again.

The floats are made of some kind of pinkish foam. Is it possible they are not buoyant any more? Any experts want to take a stab at rebuilding this thing the right way?

Thanks
Birken

lantraxco

Did you replace the power valves? One backfire and the diaphrams are usually ruptured, sucking raw fuel into the intake. Yes the plastic floats often go bad, easily replaced. You may want to check fuel pressure, as Dualie suggests you may have too much pressure and the fuel is being forced past the needle and seat.

Many years ago I hit on the absolute best repair procedure for all Holley carbs and the Thermoquad mistake by Carter... one pass with a vibrating asphalt roller, or if available a sheepsfoot, usually did the trick. What is now Edelbrock is the way to go, but may be too spendy for an old Cornbinder gaspot :rolleyes:

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
This carb does have other problems, leaks, etc. that are now evident, but it has the usual governor and who knows what all vacuum junk on the right hand side. So I dread the idea of trying to replace it with anything.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I don't need the governor but I don't know how it works or what can of worms I would get into taking it off so I don't really care so long as it runs good enough.

I agree with giving it the sheepsfoot treatment. This carb looks like it was designed by a committee and everything was an afterthought. I wonder why people like them. Must be a nostalgia thing.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
For personal use if one does not have to smog it you could go to Jegs or Summit Racing on line and get a brand new carb that will not have all the extra BS on it.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
There were plenty of brass floats made for those carburetors if you want to go that route. Holley part number is #116-4

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have had problems with those composition floats saturating with fuel in the past although the MFGs swear that they won't.This of course applies to all brands.I have always blamed it on the fuel additives that have been used over the years which no one would be responsible for considering the freezing fuel lines etc that we encounter in some climates.I always float the old one beside the replacement in a bowl of water if I consider specific gravity to be a problem.Ron G

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I have had problems with those composition floats saturating with fuel in the past although the MFGs swear that they won't.This of course applies to all brands.I have always blamed it on the fuel additives that have been used over the years which no one would be responsible for considering the freezing fuel lines etc that we encounter in some climates.I always float the old one beside the replacement in a bowl of water if I consider specific gravity to be a problem.Ron G

back in the day........mechanics doing a lot of carburetors all had little scales and a chart of how much each float should weigh. It was quicker/easier just to replace the float if it was a composition type. No taking chances, most of them were bad.

td25c

Went through the Holley on my 77 Ford F 600 Digger Derrick this afternoon . Has 361 engine and when tuned rite the old truck get's along fine .

Last job I had it on it ran fine until I went to move it home................. Damn near called Dad on the cell phone to bring the KW and drag the Ford the rest of the trip as it would run fine for awhile then all the sudden lay down & die . The needle was sticking in the seat and not letting fuel in the bowl . Stopped multiple times along the way home , I would crack the fuel line at the inlet on the carb and fuel under pressure would shoot out . Peck on the front bowl a little and the needle would drop down . Finally made it home . :)

So this afternoon I pulled the Holley off the Ford and cleaned all the white powder gunk out of the bowl & metering blocks ,replaced power valve , needle & seat , & gaskets . She runs fine now but suspect I will be doing this again as the white powder will be back . Looks like the pot metal in the carb is corroding causing the white powder gunk . I just wonder if I could add something to the gas to slow this corrosion down . Two cycle mix oil in the tank maybe ? Just don't know ?

Attachments

• 100_3193.jpg
    100_3193.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 100_3195.jpg
    100_3195.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 166

Jonas302

I had one do that it was a chunk of rubber hose in the needle the steel fuel line was cut and rubber slipped over the sharp edge

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Mine did not look like that at all. That looks like water contamination to me, is that possible? I see a lot of that in small engines people bring in.

Delmer

I just wonder if I could add something to the gas to slow this corrosion down

Add "Stabil", remove ethanol. Ethanol absorbs water out of the air, water/ethanol makes carbs fuzzy.

lantraxco

Methanol in the gas, stuff sucks. Alchohol loves water and will happily pull it from wherever it's living and then hungrily react with some metals.

Dualie

Birkin this hippie gas blend we have in CA has to much methanol in it. Methanol is hygroscopic and will pick up moisture, well guess what happens to that moisture, it collects. bottoms of fuel tanks and carburetors are the usual places that you're sure to find its footprints.

A friend has a mid 80's corvette they bought brand new, California car zero corrosion. Other than the bottom of the fuel tank that started leaking while they were out of country for a month. Nice surprise coming back to a house that wreaks of gasoline and a car sitting in giant puddle of it in the same room with the water heater.