• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Holes

B0B

Occupation
Mechanic
I have a half round trailer that needs floor repair. Will a 3/16 4x8 plate flex enough without having to get it rolled? 8 is left to right.

Delmer

How big a guy are you? probably won't bend by hand, but you could bend it by welding some attachment points and using jacks, or wedges.

B0B

Occupation
Mechanic
Im not big enough.lol. I was thinking to weld lifting eyes at the ends and letting it bow when raised.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
can you place something heavy in it ? Like a Mafia block ?
Maybe put wood blocking down first to concentrate the weight in the middle.

B0B

Occupation
Mechanic
The trailer body is a half round, like half of a can.

Welder Dave

I worked at a truck tank manufacturer for a short time. They used a couple winches to curve the oval tanks to fit the ends. If it's a wide enough radius you could weld some D rings on each side and use a couple come-a-longs to make the curve. Pull more then needed and put some good inch long tacks starting in the middle and work out towards each side. You might want have the plates a little longer and cut them to the right height after they're in place.
My first welding job was at an oilfield tank manufacturer. To make a slight cone shape top for large tanks a circle is cut larger than the diameter of the shell. Then about a 1 inch hole is cut in the center and a straight line cut to the outside. Two D rings are welded about 3' on either side of the cut near the outside diameter. Then a come-a-long is used and it's pulled together with one side over lapping the other. Once it's fitted to the shell it can stay overlapped and be welded or it can be cut along the edge of the overlap and the 2 sides butt welded together. Some large diameter tanks don't need to be rolled. I've seen them lift long plates with a crane and welds the ends together then fit them to the round base.

Last edited: