• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi gear oil requirement

kahadell

Occupation
Retired
Op manual for my EX200 LC-5 calls for GL-4 rated gear oil 80-90 or SAE 90 for pump transmission and swing and travel motors. Can GL-5 oil be substituted as I am having trouble finding the GL-4 ?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Second that. We changed all our Hitachi machines from EP (GL-4/5) oil to an SAE50 TO-4 in swing drives, final drives, and pump drive boxes. The improvement in oil analysis results was staggering.
Despite a huge amount of data regarding the performance of these compartments when using TO-4, Hitachi still don't approve it for use...... go figure. we simply told them to swivel, and that we were going to use it whatever they said.

kahadell

Occupation
Retired
Second that. We changed all our Hitachi machines from EP (GL-4/5) oil to an SAE50 TO-4 in swing drives, final drives, and pump drive boxes. The improvement in oil analysis results was staggering.
Despite a huge amount of data regarding the performance of these compartments when using TO-4, Hitachi still don't approve it for use...... go figure. we simply told them to swivel, and that we were going to use it whatever they said.

Thanks. Is TO-4 a CAT product or are there other brands ?

kahadell

Occupation
Retired
TO-4 is a specification and all the major oil brands manufacture it. TDTO is Cat's own transmission & drive train oil.

Thanks, Nige. I will use a TO4 trans oil for my 1996 Hitachi EX200. Are the SAE rating different for gear and trans oils. My manual says the excavator was shipped with Nippon SP90 in the swing and travel reduction device and SP80-90 in the pump transmission. I suppose SAE50 trans oil is a similar viscosity to these.

Do you have a recommendation for hydraulic oil ?

kahadell

Occupation
Retired
TO-4 is a specification and all the major oil brands manufacture it. TDTO is Cat's own transmission & drive train oil.

Thanks, Nige. I have located the SAE50 TO-4 at CAT dealer. Do gear and trans oils use different viscosity titles ? Manual says the 1996 EX200 was shipped with Nippon SP90 in swing and travel gears and SP80W-90 in pump transmission.

Do you also use a TO-4 oil for hydraulics ?