• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX 120

Johnny Utah

Hello,

I am asking to some help regarding Hitachi EX120 machines, I am new to tracked excavators and have only driven and owned backhoe machines and have little experience with track machines. I understand that a USA spec may differ from UK spec but what should I be looking out for on these machines I understand about undercarriage wear and what not but havent got much basis for judging how worn slew rings etc are.

I viewed a machine yesterday and there a very slight rock on the turntable which I could feel while operating, should I walk away from the machine, I'll try to attatch a picture, the machine is a 1996 EX 120digger12.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Chris

JackDeere

Utah
You don't mention how many hours are on the machine. If you can feel the play in the swing bearing it is really bad. Anything over 3.05mm of play is bad. To check the play in the bearing you need to attach a dial indicator with a magnetic base to the carbody with the indicator touching the outer part of the bearing bolted to the upperstructure. It takes two people, one operating machine and the other to read the gauge. It can be misleading judging the play by sitting in the seat and rocking the machine.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Rocking Turn Table

Hello,

I am asking to some help regarding Hitachi EX120 machines, I am new to tracked excavators and have only driven and owned backhoe machines and have little experience with track machines. I understand that a USA spec may differ from UK spec but what should I be looking out for on these machines I understand about undercarriage wear and what not but havent got much basis for judging how worn slew rings etc are.

I viewed a machine yesterday and there a very slight rock on the turntable which I could feel while operating, should I walk away from the machine, I'll try to attatch a picture, the machine is a 1996 EX 120View attachment 28177

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Chris

Don't walk away, RUN!!!:D

Johnny Utah

Utah
You don't mention how many hours are on the machine. If you can feel the play in the swing bearing it is really bad. Anything over 3.05mm of play is bad. To check the play in the bearing you need to attach a dial indicator with a magnetic base to the carbody with the indicator touching the outer part of the bearing bolted to the upperstructure. It takes two people, one operating machine and the other to read the gauge. It can be misleading judging the play by sitting in the seat and rocking the machine.

They claim there is 5600 Hrs on this 96 machine, I know it is hard to judge the rocking but i would say there is more that 3mm of rocking I have had a look at the turn table while my father was rocking the machine and vice versa I think it would be best to leave it.

Thanks for the reply

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi there Johny, Im from N.Ireland to, im a plant fitter and wouldnt mind have a quick look for you if you d like?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Were you rocking it side to side or up and down by pushing the bucket into the ground.

Up and down play on a new bearing is about 0.030 to 0.040 inch. Anything close to 0.100 inch up and down is junk.

ncbschzzt

Occupation
john deere/hitachi field tech
not junk

It all depends on your price, a worn swing bearing is not that big of a deal. A good tech can fix her up in no more than two days. But if you don't want to put money in her you best be walking. Just remember in about 95% of used machines like this, you will be buying something in the first 100hrs. There is no way around it, so just be aware.