1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hit by a car yesterday morning

Discussion in 'Agricultural Operations' started by colson04, Apr 24, 2017.

1. gwhammy

gwhammy Well-Known Member

Equipment and combines have gotten so big they hardly fit on the roads anymore. We have a lot of narrow blacktops around here with no shoulders on them. Most farmers are very considerate and will pull over when they can to let you by. I have run into a few that think they own the road and won't even let you have your lane when you meet them. It's hard meeting them with a loaded truck, you run off the edge you wreck. It goes both ways with rules of the road. I give them all the room I can but some of them are hard to deal with.

2. colson04

colson04 Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean. I do what I can to give passing room or stop and let traffic by when things get backed up. I just can't stand those that want to pass in an unsafe area like the camaro that hit me.

On a positive note, we're done planting our stuff now and will finish the little bit of custom work today. 900 acres of corn and 650 acres of beans. Feels good to have it done this early. We're usually struggling to finish by the first of June. Next week we will chop our first cutting of alfalfa, about 400 acres. And the week after if the weather is fair we will start making dry hay. April 1st through July 1st is always non-stop around here.