• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Here's what a 14000.00 dozer can do for you guys on a budget....

overworked

Coxey2 , no disrespect meant, it's been way to long since I've been to church and I surely must be out of blessings. Ive always had more to do with the wrong tools and keep doing it, just as the years go by and now I watch my boys ( god love them ) doing it the way they learned , they tell mama I should be a damn preacher. My hats off to all who are out tryin to make a go at it and not signin up for the big hand out. Hope everyone remembers who ( younger ) might be watch in what were doing, Overworked

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
What would have done different.

Ya should of only cut the dirt away from 3 sides of the tree and used the dirt you cut to build a ramp up the 4th side. Drove up the ramp and pushed the tree down.

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
$14000? Was the pad type a major part of getting that price? Every time I look for a crawler $20k will get you a leaker with a few missing gears and easy pin inspection via holes in the bushings (AKA 80% UC).

There was a td15 with 1500 original hours, shed kept for $15 but I always get "Ummm that's sold". Funny it is still on the website 6mo later.

Sorry for the rant, but I am not good at the "buying 'em right". Too bad a fresh thread couldn't pop up?

coxey2

im still trying to figure out how he ran 2 d11's and 2 994's at the same time lol

pj
Well, since I seemed to have broken even on the criticism...let me be more honest and clarify a few points:
We not I alone never use the 11's to clear unless we were just messing around. The companies I worked for don't use 11's, 10's or 9's even to clear cause it would cost too must if we broke one. We always cleared with D8's and 6's mostly. The timber was already cut and sold, so it was mostly stumps. The 11's and 994's were used to move shot and spoil for the dragline. The 8's were mostly used to build benches for the dragline. We cast shot the high wall at angles so the 11's and loaders could quickly move it to help the dragline (if one was on site). Operator you say? Here's how we grow em in KY...
scan0005.jpgscan0002.jpg

kentuckyboy

I really appreciate the comment CM1995 made 9 or 10 posts ago. I have a Komatsu D21 that I use on a small farm and I have learned a lot by just reading what everyone else has to say. DO NOT miss any opportunities to teach others on this site. It just may be all the "learning" we get and it could save a life. Thanks to everyone. Kentuckyboy

Fastdirt

Good for you Coxey, I could see that this would come to a head. It may not be the best way to skin a cat but there are a million ways to do it. No one can say that they always have the right piece of equipment for the job. There is quite a bit of nick picking here in the forums so don't take it personally. The problem is, you may not want to continue to share. The problem is there are a million armchair quaterbacks here on HEF. Many have never posted pictures of their work so none of us really no much about them. This is kind of the American way, getting by with what you have.

Regards, CD

Colorado, you seem like a good guy. I can appreciate you saying that.

Coxey, I appreciate your determination in getting the tree down. We all have our thoughts. Trees can be incredibly tough to push over. I've dug 360 degrees around a lot of trees much deeper than what you have shown in the picture and they still don't want to move. Some roots grow outward and some grow straight down. Then you have droughts and hard ground conditions etc.. Knowing where the weight of the tree is leaning and always test pushing it to see if it's still strongly rooted. It looks much worse when you actually cut the grade down like your pic, but that's essentially what's being done with an excavator. I would love to have a dozer like yours. I admire you for taking on the projects. Mainly it just looks fun and we'd all be lying if we said this stuff wasn't fun. Anyway, keep posting pictures. I've liked all your pictures already.

coxey2

Colorado, you seem like a good guy. I can appreciate you saying that.

Coxey, I appreciate your determination in getting the tree down. We all have our thoughts. Trees can be incredibly tough to push over. I've dug 360 degrees around a lot of trees much deeper than what you have shown in the picture and they still don't want to move. Some roots grow outward and some grow straight down. Then you have droughts and hard ground conditions etc.. Knowing where the weight of the tree is leaning and always test pushing it to see if it's still strongly rooted. It looks much worse when you actually cut the grade down like your pic, but that's essentially what's being done with an excavator. I would love to have a dozer like yours. I admire you for taking on the projects. Mainly it just looks fun and we'd all be lying if we said this stuff wasn't fun. Anyway, keep posting pictures. I've liked all your pictures already.

I appreciate your input. What's surprising to me is that no one so far has seen the whole picture of that big sycamore tree being removed. Some have commented about how much dirt had been removed, when in fact the tree was setting on top of a pond earthen dam. I pushed the dam into the pond and what was remaining was that big tree setting on top of what was left of the dam. That tree set there in quarantine for two weeks and never fell, so I helped along....those pyramid pads work great on sloppy terrain but due to the leverage of their width, they can put stress on the sprockets (that you can definitely hear) when you get the tractor on the side of a slope.

lowbed driver

Some people write what they do because they care, others because they don't know any better, others to try and start a feud etc. Then along comes someone like Colorado Digger and says something truely positive.

I too admire the way you did the job. Got it done with what you have. And from what I can see,nobody was in danger except,maybe, your self. Way to go.

Cheers Lowbed Driver

coxey2

That tree was so heavy that I had to use the blade to lift it to get to move; too much friction; the tracks would spin. Once it got moving no problem...

Acivil

@coxey2 Thanks for checking it out! and yeah... I'm still learning to edit them in a tasteful fashion... I'm working on the tone/sound quality, and the intro music is too long I fear (+/- 1:25) If you skip to around minute 1:30-1:40 I begin jabbering about whatever the episode is about. I'm still learning, I published my 6th episode this week so it's kind of in it's infancy, but I love to listen to podcasts on itunes or stitcher on my phone while I'm working and driving so I figured I would give it a shot about something I'm passionate about. Thanks for checking it out, and please listen, share, and hit me with your true feedback. Just bear in mind that not everyone who is interested in, or loves equipment and dirt has a lot of experience. Also, if you have any good ideas of where to promote it I would love to hear them.

td25c

What's surprising to me is that no one so far has seen the whole picture of that big sycamore tree being removed. Some have commented about how much dirt had been removed, when in fact the tree was setting on top of a pond earthen dam. I pushed the dam into the pond and what was remaining was that big tree setting on top of what was left of the dam. That tree set there in quarantine for two weeks and never fell, so I helped along.....

That explains allot coxey2 . At first I was scratching my head if the big sycamore grew on a knoll of some kind and you just removed the dirt around it to topple the tree . I did notice you done a nice job removing the dirt keeping it smooth & level around the trees . The picture looks like creek bottom ground where sycamore trees like to grow. They have a pretty good tap root on the bottom and manage to glue themselves pretty tight to the earth seeking water . Just about always have to dig around them before attempting to push up high on the trunk even with a big excavator as if you don't the tree will break about 6 to 8 feet above the ground leaving the stump still intact.;)

Wolf

Awesome way to take down the tree, Dozerboy. You are pro. I will never forget the story about you and pushing those Torey Pines. Awesome, bro, keep up the great work and I hope to see you back in the wrecking seat soon (although sounds like you won't get to knock down the Astrodome since it is a hysterical landmark now LOL). They can keep it. Money pit.

entasis

nothing but healthy and constructive discussion in this thread as far as I can tell - best aspect of this site is the civility and expert support - best site I've seen in that regard........by far

coxey2

I hope she wasn't the one who bent the handrails on the RH rear corner.....:tong
That's an old 994 too. Does it still have the steering wheel or converted to STIC..?
Wheel is the size of your car. trans selector/Fwd Rev on the left of wheel. Dump/Hoist on rt console. With torq converter lock on top on hoist. Throttle lock on toggo switch . Trans neutralizer far lft pedal. Simple to run; just can't see in tight areas....