• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help with grizzly bar size/spacing.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
I guess millercross3 will keep sliding it sideways to get the undersize. Don't know what size/type material will be going across the bars. If the oversize is very large I'm guessing the welds holding the bars to the frame will start cracking due the pipe bars flexing too much.
Mike

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Don't have a picture but I have seen a Fleco brush blade for a old D8 laid over on a frame and used for a grizzly. It sure never bent and depending on the application the spacing may be a bit large, about 6" between the large solid steel bars.

millercross3

Occupation
Traditional Farm/Ranching...Trucking/Construction
I guess I should have did a "Paul Harvey's.....And the rest of the story" LMAO...... We have a feed conveyor underneath my grizzly, hence why it tapers to the center. Only move it if I want to, not because I have to. It is 2 3/8" oil pipe at 6" space, right around 7' on high side that tapers down to 3', using 8' pipes. Been like a wet dream for 5 years of use. Granted I'm not putting car sized granite rocks over it, but I guess the largest has been near a 3 footer, but average 1.5 to 2' rocks. An ounce of brains goes a long ways. Just cuz it's 7' in the back, don't mean I dump my loads all at 10'. I'm not abusive to it, but I don't baby it neither. Like everything, there is no one answer that fits all applications. How big of rock you are putting across will determine thickness of the bars to be used, how big of rock you want to be grizzlied off will determine how far you want your bars spaced...and so on and so forth. A big one too, who will be dumping across the grizzly...if using hired help-make it as thick of bars and heavy duty as possible, normally they don't care, cuz they will still be getting paid to fix what's broken.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
That explains a lot, millercross3. And yes, the human factor is always an important part of the equation. Grizzlies can be treated right and, like yours, last for years or abused and be scrap iron in a very short time.
Mike