• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help figuring Cyd pricing

Gillettex

Good evening,

I am currently bidding on a project that has the following criteria.
Topsoil stripping - 12,745 cyd
Cut - 8,758
Fill - 12,465
Loose Fill - 3,707
Topsoil Replace -3,645

There is room to cut in a borrow pit to get the 3707 yards of material, and I can backfill with topsoil to prevent extra export of topsoil. All "suitable" material is a brown clay and site is approximately 800x460 and the borrow pit is roughly 270' from one end of the site. The cut that I'll be excavating will not fill the far side from the pit and I will need to haul over and build that area up. Topsoil is to be stockpiled on site and then hauled off after replacing.

My questions is if we are planning on this site being wet due to spring (not a strict schedule but must be worked on starting late winter). What is the proper way to figure cubic yard pricing.

Do you charge the cut and fill seperately? Should it be different based on weather. Also what is going rates for something similar and what it out of line.

Thanks!

Gillettex

Also I have been assuming my interest time in business that bank yards mean actual dimensional yardage, not including swell and compaction. And speaking of which, is there a good place to find these rates and how moisture changes those rates?

Gillettex

What type of equipment do you have available?

From what I got in the books for next spring, a 330cat, D6K with GPS, articulating haul truck (30ton), cat 314, komatsu wa270, and a sheep's foot roller. I'm renting the haul truck and sheep's foot. I don't want the haul truck if I don't need it.

Hoppsxc140

So your average stripping depth is .93', the excess will have to be hauled away. 9100 Cyd, 758 12 yard trucks worth of topsoil and strippings pricing for this should be separate. Cut to fill price should be separated out since this operation would be a one or two machine operation with the D6 and WA270, and then a separate price for importing fill from the provided borrow site. What size bucket on the 330? If only a digging bucket or a digging bucket will be the only thing able to dig in the borrow site I'd pass on the haul truck and just run a two of the solo trucks. Get the round times at 5 min or under and you should be done in 1 1/2 days. Keep the sheepsfoot. You can raise your rates if the weather/ground conditions are a concern or keep the prices the same and come up with a solid plan to minimize. For example if the area that is just getting cut that you have to haul across is being built into parking lot or building pad give them a price to place the rock on that area as well.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I would price each component separately. Price it by what you will use to complete each task and what your cycle times can be. The equipment you listed can be used for each task but the cycle and production times will be different.

Pricing should absolutely reflect the anticipated weather conditions and how that will impact production. Weather can have the biggest impact on production and profitability.

Bank yardage doesn't include the swell factor of the material as it's a measurement of the material in it's natural state, undisturbed. Swell factors are very important as the amount of material you will have to move is more than a bank yard.

Here is a website listing common swell factors - http://www.projectengineer.net/swell-factors-for-various-soils/

Basically if the material has a 30% swell factor and you have 1000CY bank yards of material to move, then you'll be moving 1300CY of material to complete the task. That extra 300CY needs to be priced.

That much topsoil to haul away may offer an additional revenue component as it could be sold to other users. When I price a project such as this I don't include any possible revenue from salvaged materials be it scrap from demo or topsoil from dirt jobs. Murphy's Law always seems to come into play if you are counting on that revenue in your profit calculations. Consider it a bonus..